23. Chapter (The Past That Stings Still)

Three years and a couple of months prior...

Felix hurried through the corridor, attempting to find his older brother before it became too late, for if the news were to spread in mere minutes, anything could transpire. He never once entertained the thought that such information would leave Daniel cool and composed, especially when it concerned Joan Thistlewaite.

"Ladies, might you have chanced upon the sight of my brother, Lord Daniel Gray?" he inquired promptly, addressing three elegantly attired and beautiful women who were familiar to him. They had cast their glances his way as the younger of the Grays passed by, yet they had no inkling where his brother could be.

As Felix turned on his heel, his eyes met the gaze of the ball's host, Lord Dalgliesh, who was rushing toward him with a frown etched on his countenance. Upon reaching Lord Gray, he ushered Felix to the side and spoke in a pressing yet hushed voice:

"We had to escort your brother outside the residence. Lord Gray caused a commotion by engaging in a physical altercation with Lord Mallard, resulting in a black eye on Mallard's countenance, apparently over Lady Mallard's affections. Unfortunately, it is bound to turn into a scandal as the number of onlookers was rather high."

Felix pursed his lips in response, prompting the lord to press on, "Your brother also seems to be highly inebriated, for he threw his gloves into Lord Mallard's face, declaring they shall duel come the morning. I implore you, Lord Gray, to find your brother and attempt to make amends, for this might end up badly for everyone involved."

"Thank you, Lord Dalgliesh," Felix nodded, "it appears I have a task at hand to attend to. Now, if you'll excuse me."

Lord Dalgliesh also nodded in response and graciously stepped aside to allow Felix to pass with swiftness. As he hastened through the corridors and the ballroom, the scrutinising glances and murmurs of the Newcastlean aristocracy brushed against his form, yet he paid them no heed. His sole focus was on a singular objective - locate Daniel and ensure his safety until his pain subsided.

Regrettably, upon reaching the stairs outside the Dalgliesh's residence, Felix discovered nought but the shattered glass decanter in myriad pieces, and his brother was nowhere in sight. Felix muttered a curse under his breath and resolved to make his way homeward, likely the place which Daniel would come to first. Though he harboured a foreboding sense that a lengthy night lay ahead, as his brother was of a rather intense disposition, and where there's tension, the potential for sparks arises. And of course, Daniel required no assistance in turning those sparks into all-consuming flames.

Rose's countenance revealed that the older of the Grays had indeed returned home, and it had been only a few minutes since Felix missed him.

"He's in so much distress, my son," their mother said solemnly. "Please, Felix, don't cease looking for Daniel. I worry about him so much!"

Felix, burdened by the weight of the situation and what was to come, lacked the heart to disclose the full extent of Daniel's wound to their mother. With a heavy sigh, he ventured into the streets of Newcastle, cloaked in the chill of the heavy night. Numerous establishments awaited his scrutiny for any sign of his older brother's presence, and with each one proven not to be the one, his apprehension only intensified.

Verily, brother, I trust you haven't met your demise at your hands due to some bloody wench, especially when there are so many women who would willingly bring you joy, Felix mused. You may be a troubled deuce, but a deuce nonetheless, and this affliction of yours shall pass ere long.

Then, an idea seized his thoughts.

Mayhap I've been searching amiss all this while. Perhaps, in his nadir, he has become more resolute in confronting his troubles... in a manner befitting a Gray.