41. Chapter (Ladies Price)

Elizabeth had the final say in organising the birthday celebration, a delightful event slated for early October to honour herself, the twins, and Eliza. When the day finally dawned, Eliza relished the festivities, maintaining a pleasant disposition and purposefully pushing any melancholic thoughts to the recess of her conscience. She refrained from dwelling on matters of courtship, marriage, or anything that might stir unnecessary headaches and pangs of guilt.

Simultaneously, her relationships with her sisters showed signs of improvement. Eliza at last engaged in a relatively normal conversation with Isabella about suitable birthday gifts, and Aileen confided in her about her suitor, Evan Kendall. However, the crimson-haired twin discreetly withheld certain details, such as their secret kisses, mindful that such information might not be well-received, especially since Evan had yet to formally court her. Aileen understood that Eliza could inadvertently reveal such intimacies in front of their father, and Isabella might insist on an immediate marriage between Aileen and Evan before the sun would set. For the time being, Aileen reassured them that she believed the wedding was imminent but that Lord Kendall had numerous obligations to attend to, owing to his severe and notorious aunt.

"I wonder in what capacity that esteemed matron could possibly engage his services," Bella murmured to herself. "That gentleman doesn't strike me as someone who is excessively occupied, notwithstanding."

"It sounded as if he were her messenger, confidant, and executor of her will all at once," Aileen replied, catching her twin's murmur. However, Bella's sceptical expression persisted. "Truly, how could you be so judgemental when you know so little about him?!"

"If he is an honourable man, and you trust him yourself, then we have no choice but to repose our trust in your judgement. Will he honour us with his presence at our celebration today?" Eliza inquired, for she also perceived that there was little she knew about her sister's elusive suitor.

Aileen sighed.

"Regrettably, he will not be able to attend. He expressed his apologies due to his obligations."

Had she been privy to his current duty, one aimed at pleasing Lady St. Arcey in bed, she might have harboured great disdain, perhaps opting to feign ignorance of ever having encountered the man for the rest of her days. However, she dwelt in blissful ignorance, a naivete so prevalent in women of her tender age, though his absence did little to hinder her enjoyment of the company of other gentlemen.

Just as Aileen concluded a dance, Eliza signalled her sister, who gracefully raised her glass and took a sip. Unfortunately, Aileen couldn't respond to the gesture as her view was once more obstructed by an eager gentleman.

The Rosewell sisters, Lorraine and the younger Claire stood alongside Eliza, engaging in an amiable discourse.

"This truly is a splendid celebration, Eliza. It has been quite some time since I had the pleasure of listening to such excellent musicians," Lorraine complimented.

"All credit goes to Elizabeth. I know not how she manages it, but I dare say she could even persuade the devil himself to attend her ball," Eliza replied with a mischievous smile.

"Take care, for what is not, may yet come to pass," Lorraine chuckled, revealing dimples on her cheeks.

Claire did not have the opportunity to add anything to the banter, as a young lord approached her and requested the honour of a dance. Lorraine observed her sister until she joined the queue on the dance floor, then sighed and turned to Eliza.

"And here we are, engaged, yet we seem but air."

Eliza arched an eyebrow in surprise.

"My sincerest congratulations, Lorraine! When shall the wedding take place?"