29. Chapter (Things You Do For The Family)

When Rose Gray entered the breakfast chamber, she had not anticipated discovering her husband seated at the table, perusing various periodicals. The sight of this man, who had become somewhat of a stranger, occupying the head of the table left her in a state of profound surprise. Conrad had ceased the habit of rising early for quite some time, preoccupied as he was with the allure of gaming establishments and establishments of ill repute.

Fortunately, the funds he squandered on his unsustainable indulgences originated from the sale of timber sourced from his family's business, rather than investments and land rentals, as was the case with Rose's finances. Furthermore, Conrad harboured no concerns, as Felix, a loyal associate akin to his dutiful subordinate, managed all affairs diligently, presenting him with funds at the conclusion of each quarter year, or so.

Upon inquiring of her son whether he deemed his father's actions morally justifiable, Rose was met with a nonchalant shrug. Felix displayed remarkable passivity and leniency toward his father's transgressions, maintaining a positive rapport with him. His intermittent presence at home left him unaware of the dense, almost palpably strained atmosphere between Rose and Conrad.

Had Daniel not made an unexpected appearance one evening, she might not be amongst the living today. Drunken Conrad had asserted that all the family wealth was rightfully his, fuelled by the notion that, as they were wed, a husband inherently owned his wife's property. Yet, his eldest son elucidated with a few well-directed blows that Conrad's claims were baseless—his entitlement reached only as far as his personal allowance, with no right to Rose's funds. Surprisingly, Conrad's family possessed meagre assets in contrast to the Sullivans, who amassed wealth throughout their lives; the only noteworthy possession of Conrad's family was a prestigious title.

Vile, loathsome man, she thought, steeling herself, and took a deep breath before approaching the table.

"Good morrow, Conrad. It's a wonder you can still rise in the morning," she remarked, settling down across from him at the far end of the table.

She regarded him from what she deemed a safe distance, harbouring the hope that her sons would imminently join the gathering. Rose wished to avoid protracted conversation with a man who had, on numerous occasions, raised his hand against her. Conrad, diverting his attention from the paper, fixed her with a glassy stare.

"I am still quite capable of things, do not trouble yourself," he croaked, and Rose perceived it as a veiled threat.

"For instance, to strike me," she responded softly so it hadn't reached her husband's ears.

"Excuse me?" he inquired, furrowing his brow.

"Where are the breakfasts? My appetite is awakening," she declared louder, ensuring that the maids, who were promptly setting the table, could hear her.

"I thought you would wait for Daniel and Felix."

"They shall be joining us shortly, I am confident of it."

And she was correct – as the final plate graced the table, both sons had already taken their seats. Deliberately, they positioned themselves nearer to their mother, one on each side, albeit for a different reasoning - Daniel provided safety, while Felix sought validation. The spread before them was thrice as abundant as that which adorned the head of the table where Conrad presided. Though a scowl adorned Conrad's countenance, he chose silence, merely unfurling his napkin and commencing his meal.

"Any intriguing tidings in the correspondence?" Felix inquired of his mother, his speech somewhat muffled by a mouthful.

"After breakfast, I shall peruse it. I trust you're not anticipating a missive of romantic inclination," she playfully teased, a smile gracing her features.