FOREWORD & TWs

My dearest reader!

Feel free to skip this chapter, for its intention is - first of all - to THANK YOU for picking up this book and teach you a bit about the history and trigger warnings that you come across in this story!

Secondly, as I was kindly told by another reader, sometimes it feels difficult to keep track of the plethora of characters that reside within this book and for this very reason I decided to cater to every one of you, who has the same issue.

Lo and behold, there is a spoiler-free family tree and a list of notable characters in a picture below, to remind you of the names, visages, titles and certain traits. Anytime in doubt, or you cannot recall who is who, feel free to come back and take a peek. It will probably work better on PC than on mobile though.

The story (here and in the subsequent books) will uncover the destinies of three families:

Price Family
Our main family! The head of the family is the Duke of Hertfordshire, John Price. The Duke remarried once due to the demise of his first wife of humble background with whom he fathered two children. They reside in London and their magnificent estate is called Mayfair House, located in Mayfair. Then they often visit the summer residence in Hertford. Their source of income comes mainly from leasing their vast lands.

Gray Family
The Grays reside in Newcastle, though Conrad was born and raised Londoner and got minted the title later in life. As there was too much historical commotion with the surname Grey, his ancestors made a small change to distinguish themselves. He, as the head of the family, is Duke of Northumberland. Their estate is located in Fulham, called Thornton Hall. They have a business with wood and make clever investment decisions.

St. Arcey Family
St. Arceys always go with the surname - it's not a mistake on my part, rather the simplification for the reader, hence there will be always Marquess St. Arcey/Lord St. Arcey, Dowager Marquise St. Arcey/Lady St. Arcey. Late Marquess Robert St. Arcey died when Travis was just a child. The family owns a city home in Kensington - where Travis resides most of the time, and a grand estate in Reading, which is occupied by his mother. Their income source is trading with animals and animal products.

Now, what is this book about?

It belongs to a historical fiction category, and a subcategory of historical romance, as the story spans throughout Georgian era England. Taken from Wikipedia: The Georgian era was a period in British history from 1714 to c. 1830–1837, named after the Hanoverian kings George I, George II, George III and George IV. The definition of the Georgian era is also often extended to include the relatively short reign of William IV, which ended with his death in 1837. The sub-period that is the Regency era is defined by the regency of George IV as Prince of Wales during the illness of his father George III. The transition to the Victorian era was characterised in religion, social values, and the arts by a shift in tone away from rationalism and toward romanticism and mysticism.