9. Chapter (Old Gossiper's Ball)

Historical Insight:

*Unmarried women in the past often had a chaperone accompany them when attending events or going out for various activities like strolls or shopping. This practice was considered essential to maintain decorum and protect their reputation from potential harm caused by inappropriate advances from men. Typically, the chaperone was either a married woman or an immediate family member such as a father or brother.

However, when a chaperone had to oversee multiple young women in a crowded setting, it was possible for them to lose sight of their charges. This created a risk of scandal, especially if the young women were perceived as being too close to men. In such cases, there was a societal expectation that the individuals involved might hastily proceed to marriage to rectify any perceived impropriety.

On rare occasions, families might have allowed for relaxed proximity or fewer barriers between unmarried individuals. This was often done with the intention of encouraging the pair to spend time together and foster a connection. Such exceptions were made strategically when families wished to facilitate the formation of a romantic relationship between the young individuals.

The day broke when Lady Kendall could luxuriate in adorning her spirit with powder, driving the household into madness with her commands, particularly old Martha, who was tasked with arranging her coiffure, rearranging furniture, and concealing it...

The day broke when Lady Kendall could luxuriate in adorning her spirit with powder, driving the household into madness with her commands, particularly old Martha, who was tasked with arranging her coiffure, rearranging furniture, and concealing items that were ill-suited for the occasion or divulged certain family secrets. Some portraits, for instance, unveiled her uncle's premature baldness or her father's rodent-like cheeks. Such depictions were swiftly replaced with floral and landscape artworks to ensure they did not disrupt the overall impression of grandeur at the ball.

Once the long-awaited event commenced, and the venerable lady had welcomed the throng of guests, she never allowed them a moment's respite from her presence, which sometimes proved to be quite a torment to their ears. Akin to an enchantress, she seemed to be omnipresent, a belief Eliza always held to be true. Hence, Lady Price sought solace in a dimly lit salon, desiring a reprieve from the dancing and an opportunity to organise her thoughts. However, before she could resume her contemplation of the Duke of Kent's absence from the season's ball, a familiar voice interrupted her.

"Do you find solace in observing the stars, Lady Price?"

Initially startled, for she found herself alone and feared it might ignite a scandal*, she discovered it was Lord Travis, nonchalantly leaning against the windowsill, illuminated by the moon's gentle glow. He bestowed upon her a smile of such devilish allure that she reciprocated with her own mischievous grin.

"When overwhelmed by the sensation of utter solitude in this world," Travis continued, "I cast my gaze upon the heavens, beholding the myriad of stars. At that moment, I feel as though it is solely I and they, forming constellations of heroes from Greek mythology, who have kept me company since my childhood."

Eliza gracefully settled into a chair beside the hearth, her eyes fixed on Travis. "Surely, you are not alone in this world; I refuse to believe it."

"I have already conveyed the essence of it," he replied, "deception and pretence."