17. Chapter (The Grays' Ball)

The residence owned by the Sullivan family in Fulham was no less impressive than the Price family's stately home in Mayfair, and it served as the backdrop for Rose's most cherished youthful years. True, her lineage traced back to the Cox family, who had to rebuild their prominence in Northumberland, but that did not deter them from returning to London as soon as they could, thanks to strategic alliances and matrimonial unions.

I would have lived out my days in the bustling heart of London if that scoundrel Conrad Gray had not crossed my path, she bitterly ruminated. Alas, it was too late for regret now, for she faced new challenges and tribulations. The first among them was none other than Conrad himself, who disdainfully dismissed her plans to host a grand ball as frivolous, foolish and unnecessary. He adamantly refused to partake in "such merrymaking", forcing her to apologise to the guests, lamenting that the Duke of Northumberland was indisposed for the evening. Nonetheless, she refused to allow his presence to cast a pall over her spirits. The less she beheld that wretched countenance, the more she revelled in the festivities.

The second and principal challenge of the evening lay in her astute observation of the company, discerning their moods and subtle nuances that might aid her in unravelling the enigma surrounding the vanished chest. Accompanied by her loyal sons, she exchanged pleasantries with Lady Kendall and her nephew, Evan Kendall.

"At long last, I have the pleasure of making your acquaintance, Earl Darlington. Allow me to present my sons, Lord Daniel Gray and Lord Felix Gray," Rose graciously introduced them.

Both sons executed elegant bows, and as Lady Kendall and her nephew retreated, Felix leaned towards Daniel and whispered discreetly, "I daresay we have encountered that lord somewhere before."

Daniel nodded in agreement. "Your intuition serves you well. I wager my honour that he is the lord from The Red Cat tavern who brazenly sought to harm that unfortunate young miss. Those venomous eyes have etched themselves in my memory."

"What course of action do you propose? I would be most willing to reciprocate his affront with a proper display of fisticuffs."

"I shall keep a vigilant watch over him," Daniel resolved. "Pray, refrain from any impetuous undertakings at present - let not our actions sow discord in our mother's pursuits."

At that very moment, Lord John Price entered the hall with his family in tow. Though Eliza and Arden harboured reservations about attending, John reminded them of the necessity to uphold decorum and grace before the esteemed assemblage.

"I bid you a warm welcome to Thornton Hall," Rose expressed herself with a dulcet voice after addressing each member of the family by their name, revealing to the assembled company that the two families hold a favourable regard for each other. "May I present my sons, Lord Daniel Gray and Lord Felix Gray."

After exchanging courteous bows, John expressed his gratitude. "I am deeply indebted for your gracious welcome, Your Grace. It has been an age since I last set foot in Thornton Hall, yet it remains an architectural marvel, reminiscent of the grandeur found within the pages of ancient myths."

"Indeed, Your Grace, everything remains as it was when my husband and I departed for Newcastle. However, let us not bore our offspring with our discourse. Daniel, I beseech you to invite Lady Eliza to partake in the joyous dance. And Felix, extend the same courtesy to Lady Aileen."

Felix immediately set out to fulfil his mother's request, and even Aileen appeared to have no qualms about it. However, Daniel hesitated momentarily, as did Eliza, but neither wished to court scandal or invite parental reproach. Thus, they decided to join the throng in the ballroom. Leading the group of young dancers were Felix and Aileen, followed by Arden and Isabella, while three other couples trailed behind. The musicians tuned their instruments, and the opulent hall resounded with the melodies of a popular dance, Mr. Beveridge's Maggot.