2. Chapter (The Hand Most Sought In Matrimony)

"Why do you behave as if you were bound for the gallows?" Aileen inquired of her sister for what must have been the hundredth time, having already completed the arduous journey from London to Rochester.

Isabella, beset by a headache was left at home, thus Elizabeth accompanied Eliza as her escort, counting also a young and fiery-haired lady of mischief. The truth was that Bella held reservations about Eliza's suitor for undisclosed reasons and preferred to evade his presence if possible. Undisclosed they were from her mother Elizabeth only, as Bella's sentiments couldn't be concealed in the presence of Eliza – she disapproved of the potential union with the Duke of Kent as she perceived him as excessively mature and austere for a young woman such as Eliza.

He's as stale as last week's bread, sounded Bella's words in the recesses of Eliza's mind.

"I am unwell," Eliza retorted sharply at her red-haired sister.

"Perchance it is due to your nervous disposition," Elizabeth offered, proffering an encouraging smile.

Aileen glared at Eliza and spoke with anger: "Behold, you are as pallid as the walls in our mother's chamber. And moreover, you do not even resemble yourself!"

"Pray, cease your clamour, my dear," chided Elizabeth, reprimanding her spirited progeny. "No leave has been granted you to pass judgement upon thy sister's comportment!" The audacious twin merely curled her lip in defiance, directing her gaze once more unto Eliza.

Eliza briefly closed her eyes, seeking to quell the flames of anger toward her overly inquisitive and occasionally vexatious sister, before whispering quietly: "Emmett had beseeched me for my hand in matrimony."

"Good heavens!" Aileen exclaimed, her eyes widening in astonishment."Verily! I had already thought that the whole affair was nought but a charade, with the duke amusing himself. What answer did you give him?"

"As of yet, none, for he had done so indirectly – through our father. I remain uncertain of my definitive response at present."

Concern etched Elizabeth's face, while Aileen frowned and muttered to herself rather than her sister: "I could never inflict such uncertainty upon any gentleman. 'Tis ever preferable to render and receive forthright answers rather than stumble in ambiguity."

"First and foremost, none had officially proffered a proposal unto you, and thus I would advise you to abstain from such discourse. The matter of betrothals is not always as straightforward," Elizabeth spoke sternly.

Fortuitously for Eliza, Aileen refrained from further jests and inquiries, and spoke only upon disembarking from the carriage outside Taverley Castle. "It is exceedingly chilly here," were Aileen's initial words.

Eliza remained silent, finding the castle impressive even in this season. Though a shroud of snow blanketed the surroundings, she briefly envisaged small patches of nascent flowers adorning the landscape beyond the gate. In her mind's eye, the hornbeam tree sprouted delicate leaves, forming a hedge that enveloped the entire estate. The path leading thereto was lined with stately poles, fashioning an arch upon which climbing roses of diverse hues gracefully meandered, now serenely awaiting the arrival of spring. A scene from the previous summer flitted before her eyes when she had the occasion to witness the castle in its full splendour. A wave of excitement surged through her as she imagined the possibility of possessing all this and more, redirecting her focus to the approaching individuals.

It was the Duke of Kent, Emmett Leighton, accompanied by his butler. Emmett wore a broad smile upon his face, emanating contentment. "Lady Elizabeth Price, Lady Eliza Price, Lady Aileen Price! I am most enchanted to lay mine eyes upon you once more," he said, ceremoniously bestowing a kiss upon their hands in the order of his address. He then proffered his arm to Elizabeth and the other to Eliza, and together they proceeded toward the castle.