30. Chapter (A Sisterly Spat)

As Eliza gracefully stepped into the drawing room, she discovered Isabella engrossed in the art of capturing a summer scene on canvas. The sweltering heat of the day had driven the entire family indoors, seeking refuge from the oppressive sun.

"Your artistic endeavours never fail to amaze me, Isabella. The juxtaposition of sunflowers and wild poppies in the foreground is truly splendid," Eliza commended her, admiring the delicate strokes of the brush.

"Hm," Bella murmured, immersed in her creative pursuit.

Balancing a palette in one hand and a brush in the other, Bella afforded Eliza the opportunity to initiate a conversation, now without blocking her ears, or at least Eliza endeavoured to try to converse with her sister at long last.

"Bella, I... you were accurate in your censure regarding my informal engagement. I acknowledge my selfish actions and the unkindness I displayed towards you. I extend my sincerest apologies," Eliza uttered with contrition.

Isabella emitted a disdainful snort, her gaze fixed intently on the canvas before her, treating Eliza's presence as if it were that of a phantom. Unfazed, Eliza pressed on, "What must I do to mend our relationship, to reinstate the bond we shared before?"

In response, Isabella shot her a piercing glance filled with resentment. "Spare me your breath and words, sister. It is not me whom you need to seek forgiveness from. I eagerly anticipate witnessing Emmett's reaction when he learns that you agreed to the engagement on a whim. And if Travis still deigns to converse with you after your revelation, he is more foolish than even I presumed."

"Nay, I maintain that you, too, are owed an apology. Verily, I harbour no affection for either gentleman, and at the earliest convenience, I shall rectify this lamentable situation," Eliza declared in earnest.

"And pray, when might that be? In a sennight, a month, perchance two years? Or shall it only come to pass when another gallant suitor sweeps in, stirring an even greater tempest within that capricious mind of yours?" Bella retorted, her words laced with sarcasm.

Eliza, with a resigned sigh, adopted an expression that hinted at a predicament already met. This prompted Bella to impulsively cast her palette and brush onto the adjacent table, a display of frustration accompanied by a dramatic roll of her eyes.

"Well, Eliza Price, if you dare tell me it's Phineas or, heaven forbid, Oscar, I cannot vouch for my composure!"

Eliza promptly shook her head in disagreement. "Nay, neither of the names you utter. I... I am not even acquainted with the visage of the gentleman in question."

"What?!" Bella exclaimed, genuine surprise etched across her countenance.

"I encountered him on a mere two occasions at the St. Angelica Orphanage, each time concealed behind a mask. Despite our brief acquaintance, I am convinced he is the gentleman destined for my affections, yet he persists in spurning my advances," lamented Eliza with a wistful sigh.

Bella fixed her gaze upon Eliza, unblinking scrutiny preceding her response, "I shall impart you a truth, my dear – you have at last surrendered your reason to the fantastical realms of your romantic tomes, you witless ninnyhammer."

Eliza's countenance darkened as she frowned, "There is no need for insults."

Bella nonchalantly shrugged her shoulders, "What other utterance befits the situation? You chase after desires you scarcely comprehend, Eliza. Your elusive suitor possesses more discernment than you. I wager he revels somewhere, amused that the belle of London has fallen for him with no efforts beyond donning a mask and assuming an air of indifference."