22. Chapter (A Confession Of An Old Friend)

Daniel was well aware that if he desired a conversation with Travis, he would have to pay a visit to his esteemed residence. Given the series of unexpected events that had transpired within his own family and during the elegant soirees, it became evident that personal interactions were best conducted in the privacy of one's abode. Nevertheless, after much anticipation, Daniel managed to set aside the necessary time to embark on his journey to Kensington, where Travis resided for the majority of his days.

To his disappointment, the servant merely informed him in a composed manner that the young Marquess was currently situated at his ancestral estate in Reading. Determined, Daniel proceeded towards Reading which took almost two days of ride, but his efforts were in vain, for the majordomo conveyed that Travis was overseeing repairs at Marlborough. With a heavy sigh, he relied on his fortified determination to endure yet another two days of travel to reach Travis' alternate estate. As dusk gracefully enveloped the countryside, Daniel at last arrived, only to find Travis in exuberant spirits, a stark contrast to his fatigued and worn appearance after numerous days in the saddle, which seemed akin to eternity.

"Daniel, what a delightful surprise! Welcome, and do take a seat. I happen to possess a remarkable vintage, diligently preserved within the confines of our local cellar," Travis warmly greeted his dear friend as the servant introduced him into the sanctum of his study. With great affability, Travis promptly rose from his desk, extending his right hand for a convivial handshake.

"Travis, it appears that a span of three years was requisite to reach your presence, having ventured from the esteemed confines of Kensington via Reading," Daniel wittily retorted, exchanging nods with Travis before settling into the nearest chair upon his indication.

Travis beamed, hastening towards the cabinet housing a selection of stimulating libations, elegantly embedded within a grand secretary. He retrieved a crystal goblet, carefully pouring a rich, crimson elixir from the decanter adorning his desk. Subsequently, he filled a second goblet for Daniel, inviting him to partake in a toast, celebrating their mutual well-being.

"After a considerable absence, I bear tidings of good fortune. In the forthcoming days, the final consignment of timber, along with a portion of our livestock, shall grace our presence, thereby culminating the extensive restoration efforts," Travis pronounced with a sense of triumph.

Observing Daniel's perplexed countenance, he expounded, "Several weeks ago, calamity befell us in the form of a conflagration. While the ultimate devastation was not as severe as anticipated, it posed a quandary concerning the scarcity of timber and livestock."

"Ah, in light of this revelation, I am genuinely delighted on your behalf. It is a rarity to witness you adorned with such jubilance," Daniel commented.

Travis let out a resigned sigh, reclining into the chair opposite Daniel.

"Alas, life has certainly bestowed upon me a dearth of reasons for mirth. This reality has imparted upon me the wisdom to savour each respite, regardless of its fleeting nature, prior to the emergence of fresh tribulations and anxieties," he articulated, lifting the goblet to his lips for a sip.

Daniel observed his childhood companion with a more prolonged gaze before inquiring, "I recollect that you experienced those... fits of unease, which left you unable to move or articulate your thoughts. Do they endure?"

Travis nodded slightly. "Indeed... but they now occur less frequently, which I find to be quite gratifying. Nevertheless, I endeavour to steer clear of circumstances that might provoke such a... reaction."

They both took another sip of their wine and then Daniel shifted the topic. "Pray, enlighten me regarding the burdens that weigh upon your shoulders, apart from the tragedy that befell your ancestral abode," he inquired with sincere interest.