44. Chapter (Heavy Revelations)

Corinne awoke with a heavy sensation in her stomach and decided to rise earlier than was customary. Usually, she indulged in slumber until nearly noon, but this morning she longed to descend to the kitchen for a glass of water. Preferring not to summon the servants, as she had dismissed half of them due to Evan's presence at this abode, she sought to minimise the chance of encountering anyone in the hallways or risking improper eavesdropping during their intimate moments. 

Evan, presently in a deep slumber, remained undisturbed by the sounds of her dressing. Corinne couldn't help but smirk, recognising that he deftly avoided his aunt, Lady Kendall, even though he never explicitly mentioned it. She had inferred this from his persistence in staying, even after numerous arguments and her attempts to send him away. It appeared that his overbearing relative was beginning to wear on his nerves.

Evan was far from a gentle lover, and the bloody scars and bruises on her body were undeniable evidence of that. There was a thin line between lovemaking and violation for him, as he didn't understand the word 'nay'. Corinne had to submit to him, whether she wanted to or not, whether they were in her room or on the green meadow. But if her plans were to succeed according to her desires, she was willing to endure his behaviour as long as necessary, even though she despised every additional scar he left on her body. 

With a sly smile, she gently closed the door behind her and descended the staircase to the deserted kitchen. There, she poured herself a cup of cold water from the bucket. The water stung her throat as she sipped, yet it offered solace to her unsettled stomach. Cup in hand, she returned to her chamber after a while, determined to evade any interaction with the household staff diligently assembling in the kitchen. However, in the hallway, she unexpectedly encountered Evan, who was also attired and ready to depart.

"Pray tell, where are you bound?" she asked curiously.

"That is none of your concern," he retorted with a smirk, adjusting his hat.

"Very well, and pray, do not return," she replied, matching his smirk.

He was about to offer a retort when the grand entrance doors swung open. Standing amidst them was a dishevelled, bloodied Travis, clutching something equally soiled and bloody in his hand, though Corinne couldn't immediately discern what it was.

"Mother, there you are. Pray, enlighten me, who is this man?" he demanded.

He cast his gaze downward, and the severed head rolled directly towards where Corinne and Evan stood, leaving behind a trail of blood. It came to a halt near her feet, and the lifeless eyes of the assailant stared at her with a vacant gaze. Once again, Corinne's stomach rebelled, and this time she had to turn away from both men as she succumbed to a surge of vomit. In the process, the cup slipped from her hand and shattered into countless pieces on the marble floor.

"Travis," Evan began, his countenance revealing genuine shock and horror—he himself seemed on the verge of expelling the previous day's repast—but Travis cut him off.

"If you were in search of me, Evan, you have located me. Now, I implore you, depart. This matter is solely between my mother and me," Travis declared.

Evan cast a quick glance at Corinne before turning his attention to Travis. As Travis saw that Evan had no intention of departing, he raised his voice sharply, "Have you lost your senses?! Depart this instant!"

This time, Evan complied and hastily exited through the main entrance. Travis then advanced with a stride towards Corinne, who stood hunched over, her back turned to him.

"So, what say you, mother? Is your loathing so profound that you would rid the world of your only son?"

This fury couldn't be likened to what he experienced when he discovered her inebriated at home - this time, he was seething with the entirety of his being. She dabbed at her mouth and gazed into his hazel eyes.