43. Chapter (Good People In Danger)

Travis St. Arcey stirred, raising his head to take stock of his surroundings. The early morning welcomed him with a gentle rain that tapped softly against the window, heralding another ordinary day in an unending cycle. For a brief moment, he felt a sense of uncertainty about the day and date, but soon recollection settled upon him. The previous night had been dedicated to sipping wine at the table, and now he sought solace for his fatigued muscles. As he stretched, his gaze fell upon the imposing stuffed head of a deer on the wall, its glass eyes fixed upon him.

"Do not pass your judgement upon me," Travis uttered softly as if the poor creature possessed the ability to comprehend. The notion that lately, he engaged in conversation with inanimate objects with regularity flickered across his mind, and that unsettled him.

Fortunately or not, there were no ears to hear his musings. Travis found himself at the edge of a woodland, far removed from the bustling city, nestled within a picturesque hunting lodge once owned by his late father, Robert St. Arcey. Robert had devoted much of his time to this haven, imparting his knowledge of animal behaviour and embarking on grand adventures with his son, as Travis perceived them.

When his father journeyed to the city for assembly meetings or to visit Corinne in Reading, a transformation overcame him—a complete metamorphosis into a different, melancholic and disappointed man. Only in the presence of Travis, his beloved son, could he exhibit sincerity unbound. A faint memory resurfaced in Travis' thoughts...

"Father, dear father, do you still harbour affection for mother?"

"Indeed, my boy, why do you inquire?"

"I chanced upon mother speaking to a lady, and she opined that she ought never to have wedded you."

"Pray tell, do you remember the identity of this lady, Travis?"

"Hmm, alas, I did not discern."

His father had bestowed upon him a smile, accompanied by a playful ruffling of his hair, yet sadness lingered within his eyes. A mere few months hence, in this cherished abode, his father chose to depart from this world by his own hand. Travis struggled to reconcile with this immense loss, exacerbated by the coldness ingrained within his mother's nature.

A sense of culpability perpetually haunted him, even after the passage of considerable time, as he also grappled with bouts of panic that seized him from time to time. In a few months' time, he would celebrate a significant milestone of his age, yet his deepest yearning remained for his father's presence during this celebration. The demise of his father transformed the once vibrant and affable lad into a solitary and introspective recluse. The anguish of losing the only figure he adored, coupled with his mother's distant demeanour, pervaded each step he took, compelling him to eschew forming profound connections with others.

Daniel and Felix stood as exceptions, as their companionship spanned the entirety of their childhood. Evan, too, became an anchor during his academic pursuits, a master of mirth capable of diverting his attention. And then, he encountered Eliza Price, years have elapsed since their last encounter, and it was as if a newfound vigour had been breathed into his weary soul. He yearned for her, for her love, only to be betrayed by the most unlikely of culprits.

Since his departure from Hertford, he confined himself solely to his father's lodge, venturing forth only when necessity dictated a visit to Reading or the nearby village market. During these periods, he endeavoured to mend what he could, resorting to the solace of spirits to drown the agony that consumed him come nightfall. Company, clamour, and the merciless vicissitudes of life held no appeal for him, even if only for a fleeting moment.

I have become akin to my mother, raced through his thoughts.

Corinne, in their encounters within the estate, never failed to cast him venomous glances.