Memory Lane

Evelyn

I'm at the grill looking through the book that Damon gave me. Speaking of Damon, I still can't believe I was about to tell him I like him. What was I thinking?

"Hey, what are you doing?" Elena asks as she sits on the chair next to me.

"Hey, just going through the book of Kathrine," I tell her.

"Why are you going through it again?" She asks as she leans forward to look at the pages.

"I don't know. Bored." I shrug.

"Why don't you hang out with your little cop friend?" Damon questions, sitting in the chair on my right, making Elena jump in surprise.

"He's busy, and his name is Nathaniel," I reply.

"Whatever." He rolls his eyes.

"Are you done with the book? can I take it?" Elena asks as she gets up.

"Yeah, sure, go ahead." I close the book before sliding it over to her.

"Where are you going?" Damon questions.

"I'm leaving because I don't want to get between you two and the weird thing that's going on," she answers before walking away.

"Okay. See you at Jenna's barbecue," he says, taking a fry from the basket in front of us, and I furrow my eyebrows.

"How did you know about Jenna's barbecue?" Elena asks, turning to face him.

"It was my idea." He nods. "Jenna went to high school with Mason Lockwood. So, I figured a social gathering would be a good way to get to know the guy. So, I told Rick to tell Jenna, and–" Elena cuts him off.

"Does Jenna know that you're going to be there? Because she's not exactly a fan of yours," Elena states. As I get up from my seat, one of the waitresses sets a box on our table.

"Perfect, thank you," Damon tells her before she walks away.

"Wait, you want to get to know the guy?" I question with skepticism in my voice.

"I'm hoping this peach cobbler will pave the way." He grabs the box and stands up, about to walk away, but Elena speaks up, making him stop.

"What are you up to?" She asks.

"I'm gonna put some silver into Mason Lockwood and prove he's a werewolf," he whispers.

"There it is." I nod.

"See you girls at the barbecue," he adds before walking away.

~~~

"Thanks for letting me invite Caroline. She could use a day of distraction," Elena says, pouring chips into a bowl.

"Well, she's not the plus one I'm worried about. Why is Damon coming?" Jenna asks as she leans on the counter.

"Because Damon likes to torture people with his presence," Evelyn answers as she walks into the kitchen.

"And because Alaric is a pity-taker," Elena adds. "Come on, be nice." She looks between Evelyn and Jenna.

"I'll be nice when Damon learns to keep his paws off you," Jenna states, and Evelyn and Evelyn stare awkwardly at each other.

"Ah-a, good news. Found the shot glasses!" Mason walks in, holding up a bottle and three shot glasses, and puts them on the counter.

"That would be my exit," Elena says, backing away from the counter.

"Wait for me. I would stay and have a few shots, but..." she looks between both adults. "It'd just be weird." Evelyn follows after Elena. "Never mind." She sees Damon walk in and turns around, wanting to see what happens.