The Sacrifice

Evelyn

"I've got it," I assure Elena, my steps quickening towards the door. Swinging it open, I'm greeted by the contrasting sight of Stefan's cautious demeanor and Damon's intense gaze. My eyes linger on Stefan, deliberately overlooking Damon's presence. "Hey," I greet with a small smile. "What brings you here?" Elena comes up from behind me.

"Hey, can we come in?" Stefan asks.

"Why?" She questions.

"We went to see Katherine," Damon answers.

"Come on in," she says, stepping aside to let them through. I head toward the kitchen, and they follow. After they explain the deal Katherine made with them, Elena interjects, "You don't believe her, do you?"

"No, of course not. We just want the moonstone," Damon denies the accusation while idly tossing an orange in his hands.

"According to Rose's friend Slater, there's a way to destroy the spell that Klaus wants to break," Stefan explains.

"No spell, no doppelganger sacrifice. Ergo, you live," Damon asserts, the weight of the revelation momentarily etching lines of seriousness across his usually smirking face.

"How do you destroy it?" I ask while Elena crosses her arms over her chest, waiting for an answer.

"By releasing it from the moonstone," Stefan answers as he leans on the kitchen island.

"How do you guys even know this is going to work?" She questions, her voice tinged with a growing skepticism that mirrors the doubt shadowing her eyes.

"Because we have a crafty witch on our side," Damon replies snidely.

"You discussed it with Bonnie," Elena mutters, leaning on the kitchen island.

"She agreed to do anything she could to help us." Stefan nods.

"Katherine has the moonstone; she's not just gonna hand it over." I shake my head.

"We're gonna get it from her," Stefan replies.

"Well, what he means to say..." Damon interjects with a sardonic twist to his lips, "...is that we will pry it from her cold, dead hand if we have to." I'm acutely aware of his piercing gaze fixed on me, yet I deliberately divert my focus, unyielding to the silent challenge he presents.

"Bonnie Just needs to find a way to release the seal long enough for us to get in, get the moonstone, and get out in time for her to return it," Stefan adds.

"Wow, I mean, it sounds like you guys already have it planned out." She chuckles, but I can detect the sarcasm in her voice.

"Yup. we're awesome." Damon nods, making me scoff.

"Except for one thing. I don't want you to do it," she counters. Stefan and Damon look at each other confused as I furrow my eyebrows.

"What are you talking about? Elena, we don't have a choice." Stefan shakes his head.

"We have to do something. We can't just give up," I add.

"What about Klaus?" She asks.

"We'll find him right after we get the moonstone." Stefan tries to reassure her.

"Is that before or after he kills everyone that I care about, including the two of you?" She looks between Damon and Stefan.

"Elena, if we can de-spell the moonstone, we can save your life," Stefan tells her, hoping she'll change her mind.

"I know," she quietly states, "everybody keeps saying that." She then gets up and leaves the kitchen.

~~~