Chapter 75 - Murasame Reine

"Reine-san Do you want to go on a date with me tomorrow?"

Above Tenguu City, at an altitude of 15,000 meters.

Onboard the large aircraft Fraxinus floating there, Itsuka Shidou had made up his mind to issue those words.

Standing in front of him was a woman looking around 20 years of age and wearing the military uniform for Ratatoskr. Her hair was slovenly tied together, with pale skin and thick shadows decorating underneath her eyes──

If listing only those features, one might think that she was a sick person inflicted with an incurable disease. But even when taking that into account, she was still breathtakingly beautiful. Her symmetrical nose bridge and the somewhat sorrowful look traced onto that pair of eyes. Rather, even the aforementioned features felt like contributing a role in fostering her phantasmal atmosphere.

Murasame Reine.

The Analytic Officer of Ratatoskr, the organization designed to protect Spirits, as well as the assistant homeroom teacher of Shidou's classroom.

And, the Spirit of Origin that had become the source of all other Spirits, Mio Takamiya.

Yes. Starting from now, in about 30 hours, she will be the Spirit that would massacre all of the other Spirits.

"............"

While listening to what Shidou had said, Reine gazed down at him while slightly narrowing her eyes.

"That really surprised me, why did you say something like that so suddenly, Shin?" Then, after a while, with an appearance that didn't look too shocked, she replied back in a quiet voice. Neither acceptance nor refusal. Perhaps, she was aiming to measure Shidou's intentions.

But it seemed to be impossible. Although they had a close relationship---No.

If someone had suddenly said such a thing, it would be normal to be surprised. Conversely, if Shidou were standing in Reine's position, he would have likely said something familiar. However, for Reine right now, such sentiments were likely not the only emotions stirring in her chest. Shidou looked back at Reine's gaze and pondered these thoughts over. Then, he swallowed in a small gulp before replying back in the process.

"Is it no good? Tomorrow---no the date has changed, so it's precisely today, but there should still be a whole day before DEM's assault."

"Although that is the case, there is no need for training beforehand. Rest well or do something you like----"

"I'm not training."

"............"

As Shidou spoke out to interrupt her words, Reine fell silent as she averted her eyes for a moment. Rather than being unable to continue looking at Shidou, it seemed she was looking to see if anyone was around.

"......This isn't the place to tell a joke, Shin. Won't you feel worried about being seen by someone?"

"I didn't say that as a joke. Reine-san, you just told me to do something that I liked. So that's why I've invited you on a date before facing the decisive battle."

"............" Hearing what Shidou had said, Reine fell silent once again.

"......Does everyone know?"

"Of course, I haven't told anyone. This is a secret date from everyone else."

"......For a moment, can I ask you? Why are you inviting me?"

"Do you not want to?"

"I haven't said that, but if you wanted to go on a date, then there should be someone else. Everyone will be pleased if you offer."