Chapter 68 - Distant Past

Onboard the bridge of the aerial warship Fraxinus, floating 15 thousand meters above Tenguu City, the crew members were busy fulfilling out their various tasks.

“Shiizaki, are you asking for support from each branch?”

“Already issued, I will report immediately after receiving the reply.”

“Very good. Kawagoe, what about the inspection of facilities on the ground?”

“There are no problems present. If you are interested, it can be used now.”

“Alright. Maria, have you finished aircraft maintenance? If you have any requests, please say something.”

“There are no basic problems. But if I may be greedy, a Wizard should perform a manual inspection of the Realizer manifestation device. I’d also like to ask for washing and waxing the exterior.”

“The former is approved, but the latter is denied. Anyway, it will become huge mess regardless the day after tomorrow anyway.”

“Muu, as they say, a women’s mind will begin to wilt away without proper care, Kotori.”

“What did you say?” Kotori struck the console with a “Bang!” noise while continuing to issue commands without any stagnation. Looking at this scene unfold on the bridge, Shidou couldn’t help but make a small wry smile.

“Well, trying calming down a bit. Why don’t you take a break for a while? Here.”

After saying that gently, Shidou handed a body over. In response, Kotori muttered out “……that’s true” while scratching her head to suppress her anger.

“Thank you. Then there’s no need for me to be polite.”

Shortly after saying that, Kotori added a straw before chugging down the sports drink. Afterwards, she breathed out a sigh of relief.

“Thank you. Then there’s no need for me to be polite.”

Shortly after saying that, Kotori added a straw before chugging down the sports drink. Afterwards, she breathed out a sigh of relief.

Although she didn’t say it, it was clear from her appearance how exhausted she was. Looking at her usually energetic sister be reduced to such a weary state, Shidou gently clenched his fist.

“……I’m sorry. I wish there was something I can do to help.”

Hearing what Shidou had just said, Kotori narrowed her eyes in surprise before shrugging her shoulders.

“What are you talking about? Yours and Lucas' jobs are the hardest; I can’t overwork you now by letting you help other people’s work.”

“The hardest……?”

“Yeah. Whatever you do, survive.” Kotori took another gulp of the sports drink while staring directly into Shidou’s eyes.

“The opponent is the largest Wizard organization, DEM Industries. It’s not clear what will happen at that time. You need to adjust your condition as much as possible. On that day, I don’t want to hear you apologizing from catching a cold, being nervous, or lacking sleep.”

“I see……that’s right.”

Impressed both self-reflection and justification, Shidou slightly raised his hand as an indication of surrender to Kotori’s argument.

Although the phrase “rest is also a part of work” was familiar, Shidou had only known the phrase without understanding the depth of the meaning.

Although, this feeling was not just limited to Shidou, as the Japanese people always tend to feel a little guilty in situations where they are the only ones absent while everyone else is diligently working.