Chapter 30

ABBY

Mason seems, despite his state yesterday, to be in good shape. I follow behind him, staring at his torso as we make our way through the forest.

I'm yet to see the wound underneath his shirt, but judging by how he's carrying himself today, he's not in any pain. There's a chance he's hiding it, but I imagine I'd still catch the occasional grimace or adjustment.

I'm horrified to think he's had so much improvement after only a few hours, and I'm choosing to believe he's playing down how much his abdomen hurts.

Knowing him, though, it won't take long for him to take off his shirt. I'll get a good look then.

He almost always seems to be looking for an excuse to strip.

I grab my backpack straps, fisting them nervously in my hands. I won't be surprised if they're worn thin by the time we make it to the portal.

I hoped to break free from Mason and Kieran before even getting close to the portal, but that possibility is getting smaller and smaller as the days go on. We're on our third day of traveling now, which should mean we're more than halfway there.

The pair are still watching me like a hawk, and because of my slip-up with Delysum, Mason's paying even closer attention to me.

If I so much as take an uneven step, he's turning to glare at me over his shoulder.

Kie's chosen to walk behind me today, so I can't see what he's doing, but I assume he's watching me just the same.

All because I asked about some stupid plant. Talk about an overreaction.

At least they've stopped asking me about it.

Mason's been radio silent for hours now, temporarily dropping the subject. It sounds like Kie's planning on sending his 'people,' probably soldiers, into Janta to look into what I've said. It won't take them long to realize I was lying.

At least, I hope that's the conclusion they come to. I'd hate for some innocent faerie to get in trouble for my lies.

Either way, I'll be with Zaha in the gods' realm by the time they realize that, so they won't be able to question me again. They'll never find out about Lill, not if I have any say in it.

"We should be crossing into the troll lands soon," Mason says, stepping over a rock.

Wonderful.

"Good to know," Kie responds.

He sounds close, and I quicken my movements to put some additional space between us. He may be my favorite among the pair, but that doesn't mean I like him. Kie's still a threat, and I don't want him walking so close to me.

Kie laughs as I hurry away from him, the noise causing Mason to peer at us over his shoulder.

The shifter's gaze darts between Kie and me, and his lips twitch once he realizes what's happening. He probably enjoys seeing Kie make me uncomfortable, especially after all the bickering the two have done regarding me this past day.

They have two differing opinions on how I should be treated.

Kie's eager to get me to the portal and be done with me, but Mace's ready to string me up in a tree and bleed me until I give in and tell him everything I know.

It's a fun combo. Real fucking fun.

"What're the trolls like?" I ask.

I don't think I'll get an answer, but I ask anyway.

Lill vaguely mentioned that trolls like to eat humans, but I could never tell if she was being genuine or just saying that to freak me out. I used to take everything she said about the faerie realm as gospel, but now I realize she was full of shit.