Chapter 7

ABBY

The man's smile grows, his full lips spreading to reveal a set of perfect teeth. He's still holding his keys, and he shoves them into his pocket before clasping his hands behind his back.

I spare a glance at the door he just emerged from. The front is almost all glass, but, like all the others, I can't see inside. Is this where he lives? I thought these buildings were businesses, but maybe they're apartments.

Most likely, they're a mixture of the two.

The man turns, following my gaze, and my cheeks redden as I realize I've been caught. Ignoring my warm face, I give him my full attention once more.

"How can I help you?" he asks.

I half expected his voice to sound light and airy, something otherworldly to match the rest of his complexion, but it's surprisingly normal. It's deep and masculine, pretty much what I expect a human man of his size to sound like.

I swallow past the lump in my throat, hoping he can't sense my nerves.

"I'm hoping you can give me directions," I say. How good are his ears? Can he hear how loud my heart is beating in my chest? I fiddle with my fingers as I continue. "I'm trying to get to Elora."

I'd like to know about the Delysum tea, but I'm afraid asking about it will raise suspicion. If it's genuinely as rare as Lill says, I'm sure there aren't many people looking for it. I also don't know what people drink it for, so I don't have a good excuse for why I want to purchase some.

What if the faeries consider it some sort of drug—like what steroids are to humans? Or what if it's outlawed?

I'll wait until I have a better idea of how things work here before prying.

The man raises a brow and pushes a strand of hair out of his face. His purple eyes are piercing, the color so much more vibrant than Lill's have ever been. They were similar to this color when we were children but were never quite this magnetic.

It takes everything I have not to gawk.

"Elora?" he asks. "How are you planning on getting in?"

What is that supposed to mean? I intended to waltz on in just as I did here, but I'm very quickly getting the hint that that's not a reasonable expectation. Is the city guarded off or something? Maybe they don't allow humans inside?

That's going to put a damper on my plans.

Not wanting to look confused, I plaster a broad smile on my face and let out a short laugh.

"I have my ways," I joke.

"Is that so?" the man says, playing along. He shifts his weight from foot to foot, but it's not a nervous gesture. He exudes confidence, which I suppose is easy to do when you're in his position. He's got the power right now, and I'm sure he knows it.

His gaze travels to my backpack straps, and I nervously grab hold of them. Do they not have backpacks here? Maybe he's thinking about robbing me. I need everything in this bag—it's all I have to my name, and I'm not letting somebody take it without a fight.

I'm not above biting.

"And how do you intend to get to Elora?" the man continues, finally looking away from my backpack. "I sure hope you're not intending to walk."

I shrug, not giving a verbal answer. It's none of his business, and I just need him to point me in the right direction.

"It's a day's drive from here," he finally says.

Well, fuck. Assuming their vehicles work as ours do, each day of driving has got to be at least a month of walking. I don't have time for that, which means I have no option but to find a ride. I doubt they have taxis here.