Chapter 19

ABBY

Kieran and Mason are efficient in setting up their sleeping gear, the two moving in sync like they've done this a million times before.

I stand back and watch, my arms crossed tightly over my chest.

I know I should sleep, my body is begging for it, but I doubt I'll get much next to these men. I don't trust them, and I don't want to put myself in any vulnerable positions if I don't need to.

Sleeping is about as vulnerable as it gets.

Mason and Kieran have decided to stop and rest in the middle of a random spot, not even in a clearing or area with soft grass. I spin, glancing at the trees and the roots that stick out of the ground, before settling in a mildly flat spot.

There's no way I will be comfortable here, and I sit cross-legged as I rifle through my bag and pull out a handful of nuts. It feels good to be off my feet, and I silently watch Kieran and Mason work as I bunch on my food.

My water bottle isn't anywhere to be found in my bag, and I curse as I realize it probably got left behind when Mason attacked me. It was already empty, but that was my only way of storing water. I doubt either of these men will let me borrow or drink from their bottles.

Fuck.

Kieran pulls a thin tarp out of his bag and fastens it to the trees at waist level, creating a roof for him to sleep under. Despite how small it folds up, it stretches rather far, covering enough space for him and Mason to lay underneath comfortably.

Mason rifles through his bag and pulls out a rolled-up mat. It's glimmering, covered in magic, and he lays it on the ground underneath the roof Kieran's created. All their supplies are greenish-brown, the color blending in seamlessly with the woods surrounding us.

The sun continues to rise, filling the sky with bright light that filters down through the gaps in the trees surrounding us.

Kieran and Mason's tarp blocks out the sun, and it's low enough that their little corner will remain dark. Lucky them.

I run a hand down my face before tugging off my sweatshirt and dropping it on the ground by my feet.

They haven't invited me to their little fort, but even if they did, I wouldn't accept. There are two large trees between us, and I fully intend to keep it that way. The more space, the better.

Neither Mason nor Kieran spare me a glance as I finish the last of my nuts and lay back on the ground, but I'm sure they're aware of my every movement. They probably expect me to take off at the first chance, but I'm not that dumb.

Getting to the portal will take about a week, so I have a few days to escape.

I'll only get one attempt, and I won't ruin it by rushing. They bandaged my wounds, so I know they intend to keep me alive. They'll relax around me after a day or two, and I'll make my escape then.

I have no idea where I'll go, but it'll be far from these two.

I just have to make sure the shifter isn't able to find me, which I doubt will be easy.

Kieran lowers himself onto the mat Mason laid out, a low groan slipping from his throat as he gets comfortable on his back. Mason stands nearby, and after a moment, he begins to strip.

My heart immediately begins to race, and my panic grows with each item of clothing he removes. The last time he stripped, it was to turn into his animal form.

I gulp, swallowing back bile.

Mason removes his shirt first, the tight black fabric yanked over his torso and dropped next to Kieran's head. I couldn't get a good look at him before, the sky too dark to see much beyond shadows and vague shapes, and I mentally curse as I notice the thick muscles lining his chest and abdomen.