Chapter 22

ABBY

Kieran picks up the pace, probably nervous about the sun setting.

It's getting dark, making me debate getting my flashlight out. I can still see well enough to know where I'm stepping, but I don't want to break out the flashlight too early and lose charge before the night's over.

It's solar-powered, and even though it's clipped to and dangling from the side of my backpack, I'm not sure how much sunlight it got during the day. The giant trees we walk among surround us in shade, which isn't ideal.

My knees ache with every step, and the blisters growing on my ankles don't necessarily feel great, but I refrain from complaining. I'll tend to myself when we stop to sleep tomorrow morning.

Mason falls back, no longer walking beside Kieran. He waits for me to pass before taking up the back, once more monitoring me. I figured it was only a matter of time before the two stopped whispering to one another and Mason resumed his usual watch guard position.

I want to know what they were discussing, but I figured if they intended for me to know, Mason wouldn't have bothered hurrying forward to walk next to Kieran.

"We're headed to Traul River," Kieran says to me over his shoulder.

Is that what he and Mason were whispering about? I haven't drunk any water in almost twenty-four hours now, and they must be pretty concerned about the concentration of my pee. I'm sure it's radioactive yellow about now, and the constant exercise isn't helping.

I wish I had my water bottle with me, and I resist the urge to spin around and glare at Mason as I remember why I don't. It's his fault it was left behind. Had he not knocked me out, I'd have made sure it was in my backpack.

I don't respond to Kieran's announcement that we're going to Traul River, nor does Mason. He probably already knows, though. I bet that's what they were whispering about up there.

Fucking gossips.

We walk for another hour or so before we come across the river. I can hear it before I see it, the rushing water loud. It sounds fast, and I grimace as the moonlight reflects against it.

The river is wider than I imagined, the opposite end stretching further than my eyes can see. The water is moving quicker than I'm comfortable with, too, but it looks refreshing.

Although, that might be my dehydration talking.

I'm growing desperate.

Without thinking, I hurry to the river's edge, careful not to lose my footing. I'm a decent swimmer, but even this current is a bit much for me.

It may not be a bad idea to jump in and let it take me downstream, though. I'm not sure how fast Mason can run in his animal form, but if I swim with the current, there's a slight chance I could move quicker. It's probably the best opportunity I'm going to get.

I set my backpack on the ground before carefully maneuvering to my knees. The bandages crinkle and my injuries scream as I put weight on them, but I don't trust myself to stand and lean over the riverbank.

One wrong move, and I'm head first into the water.

"Is it safe to drink?" I ask, turning back to Kieran and Mason.

Mason's taken a seat on a large rock, and Kieran stands on his left. They're both watching me, which is highly unnerving but typical.

"Yes," Kieran says.

That's all I need to hear, and I lick my lips before turning around and cupping my hands below the water. It's cold, and I greedily scoop handfuls of water into my mouth. This is arguably the most refreshing thing I've ever experienced, and the frigid temperature soothes my achy throat from inside.