Chapter 11

ABBY

I have no idea what time it is when I wake up, and I rub my eyes before groaning and rolling off my makeshift bed of hay.

While it definitely couldn't be described as comfortable, it wasn't as bad as I thought. I managed to get at least a few hours of sound sleep, even if I woke up several times to roll over or readjust.

The barn is still dark, and I flip on my flashlight with a sigh.

I've got a pretty good internal clock, and I'm confident it's early morning. I should get moving before whoever owns this place gets started on their day. I'd rather not explain why I'm here if I don't have to.

My knees crack as I stand, and I put my knotted hair up in a loose braid before slipping on my shoes and double-checking that everything is still in my backpack. Nothing looks amiss, so I make my way to the door I snuck in last night and crack it open.

The sun is beginning to rise, casting just enough glow for me to see my surroundings. I couldn't make out anything last night, but now I notice the acres of land surrounding the barn I'm taking haven in. The area off in the distance looks like plowed fields, and there's another, larger barn on the other side of the house.

The land immediately surrounding the house is clearly used as a backyard. There's a children's playset by the back door, the slide and swing identical to what I'd expect to see in the human realm.

I also spot a long row of what looks like berry bushes about a hundred yards away, but it's surrounded by open land and in direct view of the house. If I tried going over to steal some, I'd definitely get caught.

I turn off my flashlight and shove it into my bag before slowly stepping outside. I don't see or hear anybody, but I still keep close to the barn as I slink around the side closest to the bundle of trees I ran through last night.

There's an open plot of land between the barn and the trees, which didn't feel as dangerous to cross last night as it does in the morning light, and I pray I don't get caught as I take off in a sprint across it.

I don't think my legs have ever moved as quickly as they do now, and my breath comes out in loud pants as I slam my body into the nearest tree and hide behind the trunk. I've never been a thrill seeker, and the adrenaline coursing through my body does not feel good.

In fact, it feels the opposite of good.

I continue hiding between the trees while I catch my breath. The sprint took it out of me, but the second I no longer feel like I'm dying, I weave through the trees until I reach the front of the house. There's another patch of open grass that leads to the road, and I peer around to ensure the coast is clear before making another run for it.

This one's just as hurried as before, and only once I reach the road do I slow. I keep a fast pace until the house is out of sight, terrified somebody will come and arrest me for trespassing. I don't want to learn what faerie prison is like.

The sun gradually rises as I resume walking, and only once it's entirely up do I stop to remove my sweatshirt and take some freeze-dried food from my bag. I didn't anticipate having to do this much walking when I packed, and I'm beginning to grow worried I will run out of food sooner than expected.

My water bottle is already empty. Well, mostly.

There are a sad few drops remaining inside, but I'm waiting until I'm truly desperate to drink them. Dehydration is a painful way to go, and I want to try and drag out my remaining water for as long as possible.

I finished the water I was given at the restaurant Samuel brought me to yesterday, so that should hold me over for a little while. As long as I keep my sweating to a minimum, I hope I'll be okay.