Chapter 8

ABBY

Samuel leads me down the street and around the corner. The buildings continue to look identical, all an earthy beige with dark glass windows I can't see through. There aren't even any numbers on the buildings, and it makes me wonder how the faeries know where they're going.

My feet feel loud as they slap against the pavement, especially compared to Samuel's practically silent movements.

"Where is everybody?" I can't help but ask.

Samuel peers at me over his shoulder. "It's mealtime. I imagine they're eating."

Everybody here eats at the same time? That's peculiar, and I don't see how that can be convenient, but I don't voice my thoughts. The faeries clearly found a way to make it work, and I'm not trying to insult their culture.

Do they eat together? I hope not, and I might combust if Samual leads us to some giant meal hall.

Samual stops before a pair of glass doors and pulls them open. Quiet piano music pours out from inside, and I'm relieved when Samual enters first. I wasn't going to volunteer to be the first to go inside the dim, spooky building.

The interior is dark, and it takes my eyes a brief moment to adjust. The magic swirling through the air stands out more in the dim lighting, the tiny specks reflecting the light pouring down from the ceiling.

Despite all the differences between our realms, I recognize this place as a restaurant. There's a host desk directly in front of the doors, and behind it are tables. Tall privacy walls separate each eating area, so I can only make out the corners of tables and the occasional elbow.

The privacy, coupled with the dim lighting, makes this place feel intimate.

My heart races, and I practically hide behind Samuel as he approaches the man behind the host desk. I want to stay out of sight until I have a better grasp of this world.

"Table for two," Samuel says.

I look up, trying to pinpoint the lights, but the entire ceiling seems to be glowing a deep amber haze. It's beautiful, and I spare a glance behind me to see what's going on with the windows. As I suspected, I'm able to see the street from inside.

That's good to know, and I'll keep from lingering too long in front of them in the future.

The host steps out from behind his booth, and I nervously grab my backpack straps as I look him over. He's got the typical blond-white hair and purple eyes, and just like Samuel, he's wearing earthy-colored linens.

I hold my breath as the host's gaze falls on me, but he keeps his expression flat. He doesn't show any emotion as he gives me a quick once over, and after a brief pause, he spins and leads us to a table.

We pass the openings of the eating areas as we walk, and it takes every bit of willpower I have not to peer in and gawk at all the faeries. I want to so badly, but that'll only be inviting them to look at me in return.

The host stops in front of one of the small eating areas and steps aside, and Samuel and I quietly lower ourselves into the seats on opposite ends of the table.

I expect the host to say something, maybe that our server will be with us in a moment, but he simply spins around and walks away. I watch him disappear before turning back to Samuel.

"You never told me your name," Samuel says, not hesitating to start conversation.

I know I haven't, and I've been avoiding doing so.

Should I lie? I don't know how much access the faeries have to the human realm, and I don't want to give him my name and risk him looking it up. That would bring them too close to finding information about Lill, and that's out of the question.