Chapter 14

ABBY

This is arguably the worst idea I've ever had.

Significantly worse than my bright idea to trick Lill into opening a portal so I could speak into a mysterious realm I know nothing about.

It's my only option, though. There's no realistic way I'm going to save up enough coins to get a seat on a bus to Elora, and I sure as fuck don't have the time, supplies, or stamina to walk around the forest.

The only way I'm getting to Elora within a reasonable time frame is to cut through the forest. While that normally wouldn't be a feasible option due to the danger and lack of navigation, one of those problems is solved with Praxis.

Prince Kieran and Mason will be traveling through the forest from Janta to Elora—minus a short stop at some ultra-spooky, death-leaking portal. Those women said they expect the pair to arrive in Elora in only two weeks.

I can handle two weeks.

It won't be easy, but I've got just enough food to survive and I can deal with achy legs and feet for that long.

All I need to do is hide and follow the prince and his friend through the forest. I went hunting with my father enough as a child that I'm moderately good at spotting and following tracks, and I'm confident I'll be able to remain out of sight.

The pair will lead me straight to Elora.

Following them will also solve the issue of the trolls and shifters that lurk throughout the forest. I figure Prince Kieran and Mason have weapons on them, and considering they'll be walking ahead of me, if there's danger to be found, they'll run into it first.

Unless they die or get kidnapped, I should be all set.

I'm making the bet that won't happen.

My pulse races, and I glance at the locked bathroom door before finishing rinsing off my face in the sink.

I then squirt some soap from the dispenser onto my small washcloth and get to work cleaning my body. According to my sources—my sources being the several random faeries I've been eavesdropping on these past few days—Praxis is kicking off tonight.

Which means I need to be venturing into the forest soon.

I want to get in and find a good hiding spot before the prince and his friend take off. There's a final private ceremony a mile or so into the woods, the location meant to be top secret and only traveled to by a select few, but I know where it is.

Everybody knows about the final ceremony, and when I spotted several men and women walking through the park during mealtime yesterday, I knew it had something to do with it.

The back of the park I've taken to hanging out inside touches the forest, and I waited until the men and women had left before sneaking into the woods to follow their trail.

My stealth only further confirmed that I can successfully follow Prince Kieran and Mason's trail.

It took about twenty minutes before I reached the end of the trail. It led to a small open field with an altar and a bathtub, which felt very cult-like and honestly freaked me out. Are the princes going to be bathed before leaving? It sure looks that way.

So fucking weird.

Although, if I'm honest with myself, a warm bath sounds pretty good right now. My muscles ache from my poor sleeping conditions, and my sink baths never leave me feeling truly clean.

Sighing, I rinse my washcloth and add more soap before cleaning the bottom half of my body. I already washed my clothes and hair, so I take my time wiping myself down. I'm not sure when I'll get another chance to clean myself.