Chapter 20

ABBY

Kieran's awake and rolling up the tarp he slept under when Mason and I return from the bathroom trip, and I tentatively step around Mason's animal form to grab my bag. Neither man pays me any mind, and I take a seat before pulling out one of my beef jerky sticks.

I doubt these two plan to feed or give me any breaks today, so I need to get something in my stomach while Kieran finishes packing.

"Did she sleep?" Kieran asks, breaking the tense silence that stretches between us.

I hate how he talks about me like I'm not even here.

"Barely," Mason says.

I turn and peer over my shoulder, quickly catching sight of a naked body. I don't linger, and I spin back around the moment I confirm Mason's no longer a giant animal.

"She's dehydrated," Mason continues. "Her pee reeks of ammonia."

My cheeks burn, and I chomp my beef jerky stick between my teeth as I listen to the two discussing my body fluids. The least they can do is speak about it privately, saving me a tiny shred of dignity.

Kieran huffs, sounding annoyed. "I forget how delicate humans are."

We'll see how delicate he is when I'm shoving my foot between his legs and burying my shoe deep into the underside of his balls.

"There should be a stream up ahead. We'll detour there while we still have light," Kieran decides.

Mason enters my line of sight, thankfully now dressed in his signature black clothing. Almost every inch of his skin is covered in tight fabric, the outfit practically screaming for people to stay away. Both he and Kieran wear black gloves, too, which is interesting.

Every other faerie I've come across wears ones the same color of their flesh. Kieran and Mason chose the ones that stand out, making a glaring statement.

I bet they dread finding their mate, probably afraid she'll ruin their fun.

"The streams here are too populated," Mason says. "She'll survive for another day or two."

Easy for him to say.

Faeries and shifters must not need as much water as I do. It was hard to see last night, but I didn't notice them drinking any fluids. They haven't used the restroom, either.

I finish my beef jerky stick before eating another handful of nuts. I've never been a huge fan of nuts, but they're hearty and full of good nutrients. Assuming Kieran and Mason want to walk throughout the night again, I'll need all the energy I can get.

I doubt Kieran was lying when he said he'd drag me by the straps of my backpack.

Once Kieran and Mason are finished packing, they pause to eat. I was starting to wonder if they planned to go this entire trip without food, but as I watch them munch on what looks like freeze-dried meat, I realize that was probably a dumb assumption.

They eat quickly, and they turn toward me expectantly once they finish. I suppose this is my cue to pick up my shit and get moving.

I tie my sweatshirt around my waist and slip on my backpack before standing and making my way over. I still keep my distance from the pair, careful not to get too close. Kieran takes the lead, and Mason waits until I pass him before positioning himself behind me.

"Who is Zaha?" I ask the moment we begin walking.

They ignored me asking this last night, Kieran pretending to be asleep and Mason remaining silent in his animal state. Although, even if Mason was in his normal state, I don't think he'd have answered me.