49 | I LOVE YOU

WHAT HAPPENED?

BLOOD PUMPING IN HIS EARS was all Sirius could hear

BLOOD PUMPING IN HIS EARS was all Sirius could hear. He clutched his broken arm to his chest, surveying his surroundings. He saw flowers on fire, the dirt and blood on his ruined suit. He saw injured bodies lying in the rubble that was the remains of his wedding as Aurors and Mediwizards sifted through the survivors.

It hadn't taken long for reinforcements to get there, as Val and Moody already had several of their fellow Aurors watching the property, fearing something like this might've happened. But it wasn't enough to keep everyone unharmed — enough to keep everyone alive.

He couldn't hear Molly screaming, who was crying over George's unconscious body, bleeding heavily from his head after losing an ear. Nor did he hear Fleur sobbing over Bill, who'd been attacked brutally by Greyback before fleeing, only to come across a vengeful Remus. However, he could spot Cedric with a hollow look on his face as he sat over his father's dead body. Harry was begging for Draco to wake up, unsure if he was alive or dead as no one had come to them to help yet. Viktor and Val were hauling a bloody Ethan to his feet.

But most importantly, Sirius couldn't see Ivy, who'd gotten separated from him in the chaos.

He moved slowly, pushing past people with hardly any strength left in him, his vacant eyes scouring the crowd. Walking with a slight limp, he ignored those who tried to stop and speak to him — McGonagall, Moody, Tonks. All he wanted to do was find Ivy.

Finally, he found the one person that could help him most. Remus, who had his back to him and was sifting through the crumbled remains of a stone gazebo.

"Moony," Sirius called in a scratchy voice, catching his attention.

He looked over his shoulder at him with sad eyes. "Sirius, stay back," he told her in a gentle tone. "Go get a healer. You shouldn't see her like this."

His eyes began to water, fearing the worst. "See who?" he asked, her voice cracking. Then he stumbled forward, not caring as Remus tried to hold him back.

It was Ivy underneath the rubble, and his knees fell out from under him as he landed at her side. She was covered in gashes and bruises, just as he was. But it was the nasty and still-bleeding head wound that worried him most. Blood seeped into her wedding dress and stained her skin. She looked dead, and yet the shallow rise and fall of her chest brought him some comfort.

"What happened?" Sirius asked, carefully cradling Ivy's head.

"You'd have been proud, Pads," Remus whispered, tears welling in his eyes. "I went after Greyback after he got Bill. But he was stronger — always has been. I thought I was done for before the strongest Depulso I've ever seen knocked him back. Guess those lessons have been paying off."

Sirius didn't know if it made him feel better or worse knowing that Ivy had saved Remus' life. "How'd she end up like this?"

"The three of us kept at it, us trying to keep him back. But then a spell hit the gazebo. I managed to jump out of the way, but both he and Ivy were under it.