4 | CHOCOLATE CHIP

YOU'RE A WEREWOLF.

A TIMID KNOCK on his office door drew Professor Lupin's attention

A TIMID KNOCK on his office door drew Professor Lupin's attention. He held in a groan, figuring it was one of his colleagues or even Snape coming to check on him and make sure he really was going to feel like teaching the coming Monday. However, when he looked up, he realized he wouldn't be met with McGonagall's mothering tone or Snape's spiteful one.

Ivy was standing in the doorway with a sheepish smile on her face and a small wrapped box in her hand.

"Ah, Miss Arora, how can I help you? I'm surprised you aren't out on the first Hogsmeade trip." Remus stated, sitting a little straighter and trying to hide the exhaustion on his face.

He failed.

"Oh, I'll go and meet my friends in a little bit," she told him, stepping into his office. As she got closer, she saw that Remus looked positively dead on his feet, with deep eye bags and a sickly complexion. She also thought there might have been a new, healing scar on his neck, but she gave it no thought as it reminded her of the embarrassing conversation with Val about the teacher. "I just wanted to check on you. Professor Sprout said she figured you'd be back on Monday, but I wanted to make sure."

"Ah, getting a bit tired of Professor Snape?" he asked, smiling wryly. Ivy flushed a bit, knowing that practically every student was ready for his return. "I may not look it, but I am improving."

"That's wonderful! I do hope you feel well enough to make it to the Halloween feast tonight. Um, and well, I was in the kitchens the other night—" Ivy hesitated, remembering that students weren't actually allowed in the kitchens, but Remus didn't seem like he cared. "—and I was making some cookies. I thought you might like some. They're chocolate chip, and I've heard from Harry that you rather like chocolate."

"That's very sweet of you, Miss Arora," Remus said with a genuine smile. Ivy matched it and finally walked over to his desk and set the package of cookies in front of him. She held back a happy laugh as he immediately took the lid off and grabbed a cookie.

But the laugh died down as she spotted a few things around the cluttered office.

"Professor Lupin?" Ivy asked hesitantly with her eyes scanning the books and bottles and calendar on his desk with very specific dates marked.

"These are positively delicious. Really, I know you're smart enough to go into any field, but opening a bakery should definitely be one of your options," Remus praised, his mood significantly improved with the treats. Too bad Ivy was about to ruin it.

"What are you doing with Wolfsbane potions?" she dared to ask. Very few potions had the same milky-blue sheen of the potion that Snape had taught them to brew two years ago. She also knew that Werewolves were meant to take the potion once a day for the week leading up to a full moon. There were seven bottles lining a shelf, and seven identical empty bottles piled up on the end of his desk.