Chapter 68 - Distant Past

Start from the beginning

Furthermore, the upcoming battle in two more days could be said to be a clash that would determine the fate of all of the Spirits. Since the key factor was Shidou's life, he couldn't afford even the slightest moment's worth of negligence then.

"Coming through!"

The door suddenly flung open as the Spirits led by Tohka came onto the bridge with large plates at hand.

"Tohka? Everyone is here as well. What's the matter? ......Is this a challenge to other group?"

"We are here to show appreciation to everyone! Everyone should be hungry right about now!"

"W-we......have made rice balls for everyone."

"Mun. Please do not hesitate to eat."

Seeing Kotori gesture with her head to the others, everyone responded back energetically while distributing plates filled with rice balls.

Looking around again, there was numerous rice balls all wrapped in aluminum foil.

It seemed that these were specially made for Shidou, Kotori, and the others. "Ohhh......this is amazing. Does everyone have a share?"

"Umu! Everyone, please refuel after eating this!"

After saying that, Tohka made a bright and sunny smile. Looking at that cheerful appearance, Shidou felt the tension leave his body. Even, Kotori and the other crew members who were there also made wry smiles as if seemingly forgetting the sense of nervousness floating in the air.

"It looks like you guys work hard to make these. ──Well then, let's enjoy being spoiled just a little by those efforts. Everyone, let's take a break."

"Understood."

"Wow──just as I was feeling a little bit hungry."

While such words of gratitude were uttered by the crew members, they each stood up from their seats to walk towards the dishes displayed in front of them.

"Well then......I will probably choose this one......"

"Mu! Wait Kotori, you're rice balls are over there."

Just as Kotori was about to reach for a rice ball on a plate, Tohka spoke out and turned her over towards another tray.

On a closer inspection, there was a note with a name on the top of each foil wrapped in the rice balls. It seems that everyone has an exclusive rice ball.

"Oh, does that mean the filling is different for each one? Mine is......this?"

After saying that, Kotori reached out for the rice ball with her own name attached to it.

Following this, Shidou, Reine, and the other Fraxinus crew members all took their own rice balls in turn.

After that was finished, Tohka and the others picked up rice balls with their own names written on them──however, for some reason, there was the feeling that they were subtly nervous with stiffened facial expressions.

"Tohka? What's wrong?"

"Mu......n-no, it's nothing."

"? Alright, then I'm starting." Kotori then tore off the aluminum foil to take a bite. Immediately, at the very next second.

"..................!?"

Kotori's eyes suddenly sharpened as large beads of perspiration floated down her face.

"......! ......!"

Kotori, who was moving bizarrely with the hand holding the rice ball, seemed to reluctantly swallow what was in her mouth. Then, with trembling shoulders, she let out a large exhale.