Chapter 23~

SARAH

“In trouble?” I shot over the phone right before being cut off the line,  wondering why I had just gotten a call from Ryan but directly from Nate.

“What's happening?” I asked myself.

“Is he some kind of trouble like he just mentioned?” I continued staring at my phone screen.

I took a deep breath as I dialed Nate’s number, hoping he had all of this in control.

“Whatever it was,” I thought to myself.

The line rang repeatedly without Nate picking up, which got me extra worried about what was happening.

As I held on to my phone staring at my screen waiting for Nate to pick up, I quickly remembered Ryan had talked about going to a party.

“Fuck!!” I muttered to myself.

At this point Nate not picking up, and I was more than worried and confused about what next to do.

I stared at the clock, seeing how late it was already, and then kept dialing Nate’s contact. I had my robe taken off as I changed into my hoodie and a pair of black jeans and then rolled my hair into a bun.

Just when I was about to step out of the house with nowhere in mind to go aside from the station, he finally picked up.

“Hello dear, I missed your calls!” Nate said.

“Yeah!” I stuttered trying to control my words and not raise any suspicions as to why I was this bothered.

“Is he in some kind of trouble?” I asked lowering my voice on the phone.

“I have that settled already Sarah,” He spoke in a tone, which was his custom when in the presence of people he had in custody.

I knew perfectly well, what he meant by the word settled and it was that he had plans of locking Ryan up for a few days which definitely would get him in bigger trouble.

“Uhmmm, would you mind if I interfere?,” I asked holding on to my doorknob hoping Nate would listen to me.

“I can't allow you to do that dear,” Nate protested.

“Shit!” I mumbled to myself as I tightened my grip on my phone waiting to hear him speak.

“I wouldn't want you bothering yourself with all of that,” He continued.

“No, not at all!” I answered.

“You know all of this concerns the school still and I wouldn't want this to get any worse than it already is,” I requested.

“So, can you please let me pick him up tonight,” I continued.

“For old time's sake Nate,” I added as I waited on Nate to say a word.

But then silence was all that came from his end after all I had said.

“Nate please!” I pleaded as I held my head up staring at the ceiling waiting for him to utter the exact words I was waiting so long to hear.

“Fine!!” He responded with a croaked voice.

“Just for old time’s sake,” He added and then he hung up.

I exhaled holding on to my chest, feeling a bit of relief that he had gotten out of this particular one.

I dashed out of the house not minding whether or not it had been too late to be out in the cold. I had a taxi booked immediately and was headed straight for the station.

“3rd Avenue to the right down the road,” I yelled to the taxi driver who had the volume of the music in the background of his car turned down the minute I stepped into the car.