The ticket was handed over, and the steward duly led me to my cabin. I was quite glad with it, even if cabin A10 was a bit smaller than what I was used to. It did have a small sofa though, which would serve as a bed for Rigel since my own bed was not large enough for the both of us.

I would leave the steward a large tip, because that sofa would be covered in hair by the end of the crossing.

Unlike most of the other passengers, I only had a few trunks with me. Out of season gowns for dinner, plain shirtwaists and skirts, functional shoes and not a speck of jewels to be seen. I was lucky that I even had a hat to wear. Shortly I would become the laughingstock of the ship for my repeated outfits, but I hardly cared. Will wouldn't care a whit what I wore, in fact, he'd probably have me out of my clothes most of the time.

I did a quick look through of my trunks just to make sure that everything was where it should be, fully expecting to hear the bellow of the ship's whistle announcing our departure. But it never came, and I found myself growing impatient. After checking my trunks twice, I grabbed Rigel's leash and stepped outside. It was only a quick turn until I was out on the promenade, circling around to the starboard side.

I plucked at the sleeve of a passing steward, "Excuse me, shouldn't we have shoved off?"

"Sorry, ma'am." He ducked his head, "We're having to bring over some passengers from the Cameronia, we'll be leaving shortly."

"Why?"

He looked bewildered for a moment, "Oh, well, she's been requisitioned by the Admiralty. I don't know why, but we're taking on her passengers and some of her crew." He glanced quickly over his shoulder, "I really must be off, ma'am."

I let go of his sleeve, tugging Rigel closer to me as we walked along the promenade. I suppose the delay wasn't really that much of an issue, but I wanted to be gone. I wanted to be on my way to Will, but no matter how much I paced the railing, I could not speed the departure of the ship up. Finally though, I saw the gangplanks shoved back, and ropes tossed off. I almost shouted with joy when the whistle sounded, the Lusitania slowly being sent on her way by the tugs that drew up the slack in their lines and set to pulling the liner to a place in the bay where she could begin her run.

The weather as we moved out from the harbor was gloomy, dark skies, chill winds and icy spray as the engines kicked in. Most of the other passengers quickly abandoned the deck, leaving me on my own. I didn't mind much, the warm coat over my dress dealing with the worst of it. Rigel, his thick coat covering the lower part of my legs where he leaned against me, warming the rest of me.

I was content though, watching the city fade behind us as we sliced through the sea. I was finally moving, and even the cutting chill of the day couldn't stop that. Although after some time, I noticed us begin to slow slightly until finally we came to a stop. I pursed my lips as I walked to the front of the promenade deck, underneath the bridge. From the bow area I could see two ships, cruisers, also stopped.

I didn't worry though, for I could see the White Ensign flapping from their masts.

They were British ships, here to keep the German liners bottled up so that they couldn't contribute to the war effort. I had no doubt that if they somehow made it past these ships, who were currently sending boats of their own to us, the blockade would keep them from being used. I watched with some interest as the boats were pulled up alongside, sacks of mail from the sailors tossed aboard before the boats returned.

And then we were off again, the bow sending up a spray of water that almost soaked my veil.

I headed back inside after that, glad for the warmth. I was looking forward to a few hours in my cabin before dinner, although I almost gaped as I saw a steward staggering through my open door with a massive armful of white camellias. I caught the door for him, earning a grateful nod. "Thank you, ma'am. This is the last one."