Dinner and a Question

I am not ashamed to admit that I slept in the next morning, even with the cold breeze blowing in. When Marie came to shake me awake, I blearily told her I would not be going out for breakfast, and would she kindly order me cornbread, bacon and a pot of chocolate? Of course bringing that back took time, which I used by continuing to sleep. After the lack of sleep the night before, it was heavenly to sleep in.

I groggily ate breakfast, and instead of dressing for the day I returned to my bed. Full of food, and dreaming about tonight. Well, I would have slept if Mother had not torn the blankets from my bed. "You cannot sleep all day, no matter what you want."

"But Mother, there is nothing to do until later." I stretched out, searching for a bit of warmth. Marie had not closed the window and while it was warmer than last night when I had opened it, it was still rather chilly.

"I know you are excited about the dinner, but I cannot allow you to laze about." Mother pulled a dress from my closet and threw it onto me. "I expect you dressed and ready in ten minutes, Marie will be along momentarily. We shall find something to do, even if it nothing more than borrowing a book and laying in a deck chair."

I picked up the dress, smoothing out the yellow silk skirt. "Do you think they have any romances?"

"More than likely they have nothing but," Mother sighed, "If I have to read Jane Eyre one more time I will scream." She stepped out, clearing the way for Marie who quickly got me dressed and had me sit so she could begin to dress my hair.

I looked at myself in the mirror, touching my face. "Marie, do you think you could do something special with my hair tonight?"

"Whatever you have in mind, Miss." She said, draping a lock of hair over my ear.

"That's the thing, I don't have anything in mind. I will need your help, I'm rather hopeless with my hair."

"Of course, Miss." Marie finished with my hair, stepping back and waiting for dismissal. I waved her away, joining Mother in her cabin. She brought us up to the reading room, collecting a few random books before finding us a set of deck chairs. I opened my book, attempting to find some distraction in the pages.

And God, what a bore it was.

The milksop heroine did nothing but pine over her soldier, sent off to fight Napoleon's army, and slowly die of consumption while she waited for him. By the time he returned she had been buried for a month and he sat by her graveside and cried out his heart, until the heroic nun who had saved his life came to his rescue, leaving behind her vows, and he left with her to live a life bereft of his love, while she would patiently stand by him and bear his children while knowing that he would never love her as she loved him.

Fortunately the day was mostly free of the presence of Zachary, but it was also free of Will. I found I missed having him around, not just talking to him but having him near me even if we did not speak. The feeling of contentment I got around him. To know that he was nearby and would be more than willing to lend an ear or take me somewhere. There was something more though, a feeling of safety that I lacked. Even while reading I kept looking for Zachary, comforted only by Mother's presence next to me. Sometimes Zachary would respect her presence, but after the other night, apparently that time had passed. But with Will, I knew that Zachary felt some kind of threat that sent him scurrying off. I set the book down with an exaggerated sigh, "Mother, would you mind if I went to go prepare for dinner now? I feel I would like to wash."

"Go straight to the cabin and send someone for Marie." She nodded, "And ask them to return your book." I fairly flew down the staircases and through the passageways, finding a steward and relaying my requests. By the time Marie entered the cabin I was already up to my chin in hot water.