Chapter 23-p1

A horn honked outside, and Hermes leaned toward Athena.

"Brace for impact," he said softly, though clear enough for Odysseus to hear.

There was a sudden crack and the loud rumble of an engine and a low, angular vehicle, all flashing lights and bright yellow paint, pulled into the courtyard, nearly blinding them all as the lights swept across the front of the house.

"Of course, I tell him to be subtle, so he brings a Ferrari," Hermes muttered, but opened the door wide. "Dad! Hi!" He called out.

Odysseus recognized the man who stepped out of the car, though his hair was shorter, and he was dressed in a fine linen suit. The unwrinkled, tan complexion, and the white hair and trimmed beard were unmistakable.

"Zeus," he whispered, stepping back from the window, looking for Asterion, who was playing with some of his new toys on the floor by the sofa. Odysseus scooped up the toddler as Zeus entered the house.

Zeus didn't even spare a glance in his direction, sweeping down the entry hall and greeting Athena with a kiss in the air beside each cheek. "My daughter, how is the best idea I ever had?"

"Fine," Athena brushed him off slightly, and stepped back, her smile seemed somewhat forced. "How's Florida?"

"You know how much I enjoy a good summer thunderstorm," Zeus waved a hand lazily. "They're weak though, nothing like the storms I used to whip out. I could really nail 'em..." he mimed throwing something overhand, and Odysseus resisted a shudder.

Everybody laughed dutifully, and Hermes ushered him into the kitchen. "I've prepared dinner for everyone, and there's plenty of booze. Help yourself," he said cheerfully.

"None of that boxed wine, of course," Zeus said, opening the fridge and pulling out a bottle of beer.

"No no, never," Hermes said, but he was already stepping away from the kitchen, as horns sounded outside once again.

Odysseus looked out the window with the others, and Hermes flung the door open wide. The vehicle driving up was as different from the Ferrari as Odysseus could have imagined. A boxy, rusted truck that had once been painted blue, it shed sand on the stones as it came to a stop.

The man who stepped out of the vehicle was as unassuming as his truck, a dark, tanned complexion, dark, curly hair which was piled on top of his head in a style that looked like a wave. He wore white trousers and canvas shoes like the ones Odysseus had lost and replaced. His shirt was a dark floral pattern, and was unbuttoned. He moved with surprising grace and a kind of inevitability, as if he expected the entire world to get out of his way.

"Hermes," he said before Hermes could greet him, his voice was low, and had a rumbling quality, not unlike Zeus's. "I take it my brother is here."

"He's in the kitchen," Hermes said, leaping aside as the man walked past him. "Raiding my beers."

"Is there whiskey?"

"Its on the top shelf, I'll show you," Hermes wiggled through and marched him down the kitchen, as he continued his steady pace. The man finally came to a stop when he saw Zeus.

The pair locked eyes and Odysseus thought he heard thunder in the distance.

"Zeus," the man said.

"Poseidon," Zeus said jovially, "how has your summer been?"

"It will be better once this is over."

"That's Poseidon?" Polites whispered. Odysseus made a hushing motion with his hand, but Poseidon's brilliant blue gaze landed on them anyway. Anger flashed there, but was smoothed away and replaced with a wide smile.

"I don't believe we've met," he said. "My brother said he was harboring mortals. How... quaint."

Odysseus adjusted his grip on Asterion, who had begun to squirm, but the toddler wiggled out of his grip and Odysseus had to put him down before the boy dropped.

The toddler looked up at Poseidon and crawled toward him, pulling himself up on his trousers, squealing happily.

Poseidon stared at the child for a long moment, then bent and picked him up.

"Interesting," he said. "You don't show any fear of gods."

"He's just a child," Odysseus said before he could stop himself. That anger flashed across Poseidon's face again, and Odysseus braced himself as the god came closer, bending down so their noses were mere inches apart.

"I would teach him to respect the sea, if I were you," Poseidon said.

"All the respect you deserve," Odysseus replied, his teeth clenched.

Then there was another rumble, and Hermes opened the door again. Asterion nearly fell into Odysseus' arms as Poseidon went back to the kitchen.

Odysseus retreated back to the sofa, and set Asterion down between Polites and Eurylochus as a motorcyclist entered the courtyard.

The woman rode the bike like it was a thoroughbred horse, and when it stopped, she dismounted gracefully, removing her helmet with a flourish to reveal an elaborate updo of black and gold braids. With one elegant gesture, she released whatever held it there and it fell down in waterfall down her back. Her skin was dark and flawless, and she seemed to glow from within in the dim light from the door.

She wore an elegant violet pantsuit, tucked into high boots and from her ears dangled enormous earrings made from peacocks feathers, which matched the gold and turquoise necklace around her neck. She stood nearly seven feet tall, and the heels on her boots made her look even taller. As she stepped across the courtyard, her jacket grew longer, flaring out in a ruffled skirt. Odysseus couldn't have been sure if it was some kind of illusion, or godly power that made it do that.

She approached the door with broad smile on her face, and kissed the air beside Hermes' cheeks in greeting, before looking him over.

"You look thin, dear, that no-account husband of mine hasn't been running you ragged I hope?"

"It's fine, Hera," Hermes said, puffing out his chest slightly in pride. "I can handle anything."

"Mhmm," Hera swept in through the door, and paused in the entryway to the living room, seeing the five mortals in the room. She looked down at them, and Odysseus instinctively stepped forward and bowed.

"Lady—" he began, but Hera whipped out a hand, catching his chin in her grip and forcing him to straighten and look her in the eye. Her nails were long, curved, and painted to match her suit. They pricked the soft skin under his jaw and he flinched.

"He's a little scruffy," she said to Athena, who had stepped toward them as Odysseus bowed. "You always spoke so highly of this one, I expected him to be... taller."

"There are other merits besides looks, Hera," Athena said coolly.

Hera ran her free hand through Odysseus' hair, as if he were a dog, and he squirmed. "Yes... indeed. Tell me, little man, have you been faithful to your wife?"

Odysseus freed his face with an effort. "Yes," he growled, fingering his chin. "There's no one else for me."

Hera's golden eyes flashed, and flickered over the others, but then her expression softened, focusing again on Odysseus. "I will help him," she said finally, and swept away, taking an offered wine glass from Hermes, and joining Zeus and Poseidon in the kitchen.

Athena shot a glare at Odysseus. "Whatever happened to staying quiet and not drawing attention to yourself?"

"I haven't left the room," Odysseus argued, throwing his arms wide. "I guess I just attract trouble."