Chapter 17-p3

Hermes' place turned out to be an old stone farmhouse surrounded by grapevines, high on the hill above town. Vines grew around its door, and the roof was made of red tiles. Windows with brightly painted shutters looked out over the tiled courtyard. The sun was setting as they arrived,

"It belongs to a lovely old couple," Hermes said, bringing the car to a stop. "Wouldn't you know it, they won the lottery this morning, and have gone on a cruise around the world. So the place is ours for a while. You can have your pick of bedrooms, there's enough for all."

It could have been a palace to Odysseus, for how inviting it looked.

Hermes opened the doors, and he practically fell out of the back seat after Polites, who was particularly eager to get out of the vehicle. Odysseus watched him disappear into the vineyard, holding his stomach, and let him go, understanding the queasy feeling.

Hermes paid no notice, but gestured grandly to the house. "Welcome to our base of operations!"

Hermes led them on a tour through the house, naming rooms and banging on the walls and bathing the entire house in a warm glow, as lamps lit in their passing. He demonstrated the bathrooms, instructing them on how to operate the taps, which soaps to use. He gave them each clothing, heaping cloth into their arms generously and explaining each item.

"We're not stupid," Eurylochus had to interject as Hermes explained the sleeveless top he had given to him.

"Says the man four thousand years in the future, still wearing a chiton," Hermes retorted. "Quiet now, and listen."

Finally, though, their heads whirling, they all stood in the doorways of individual bedrooms, Hermes directing them like he was conducting music.

"I will leave you to all get settled," The god exclaimed, "while I make dinner."

And he was back down the stairs, leaving the four staring at each other in shock.

Ever practical, Eurylochus was the first to move. He shrugged. "Well, we should be good guests, and do as we are told." The others chuckled, and the tension lifted from Odysseus' shoulders. So far... this adventure had proven a lot less dangerous than their last, and perhaps that would continue to hold true.

Odysseus was just buttoning up the shirt Hermes had lent him, his hair still damp from a bath, when he heard the clatter of something metal hitting tile, keys maybe, and a woman's voice, but not Cassandra's.

"I rode up and down the island, and nothing," the voice said. "I can't figure it out. It was such a strong feeling, like a 'disturbance in the Force'. Please tell me you had more success?"

"My dear sister," That was Hermes' voice. "Did you not check Twitter?" (this dates this somewhat. It is June 2023 and Twitter was still Twitter at that time, if only barely).

"You know I hate Twitter, but yes, I checked it. The only noteworthy thing was some college kids or something dressing up and attempting to build a boat. It happens every summer. If you're trying to make me feel better by suggesting we go correct them on historical accuracy, the answer's no. I have to find out what called me here. It was something I haven't felt since...."

While they spoke, Odysseus crept down the steps, his bare feet making no noise on the tile floor, and he paused in the doorway to the kitchen, where Hermes—now dressed more casually in a linen shirt he'd only half-buttoned and baggy shorts, was speaking with a woman in a tight-fitting leather jacket. Her hair was braided back, and she seemed younger than Odysseus was used to, but her eyes... those were unmistakable.

He stepped into the bright lights of the kitchen, and tried to think of something clever to say, but instead, what came out was: "Athena?"