Chapter 23-p2

Another horn signaled the arrival of another vehicle up the drive. Screeching to a stop beside Poseidon's pickup was a vehicle of all hard lines, as if it had been built of stone blocks, painted bright red with the letters "RDWRR" across the top of the front windshield. Two gods stepped out.

From the drivers side came an enormous man, built like a brick wall, bigger than Ajax (Greater) had been, with broad shoulders covered by a huge, red leather jacket. Odysseus wondered briefly, and silently, how many cows had been sacrificed for that outfit. The god's face was crossed with scars, which stood out starkly against his dark skin, and his hair had been dyed red at the tips.

He was not ugly, but his expression was dark and angry, until he looked at the woman who had been in the car with him.

The woman was dark-haired, and very beautiful, in a short pink dress with gold, halter neck straps. Her hair was down, and waved to her waist, though when she moved, it seemed to become caught in a wind. (Giving shampoo commercial vibes.) She did not take the god's proffered arm, but instead walked ahead, greeting Hermes at the door with a graceful, incredibly light hug, barely touching him.

"Aphrodite, good to see you as always," Hermes said with a grin. "And Ares, so glad you could take a break from that terrible business out east. I've heard the heat can fry a man."

"Nothing I haven't seen before," Ares grumbled. "Now, 1939... that was a good year."

Hermes laughed forcefully, and Ares entered the house. He seemed to shake the floor as he entered, and Odysseus put his head down, trying to avoid the god's gaze. Ares was one he didn't want to get near tonight if he could manage it. They had not been on the same side of the war.

Aphrodite passed the doorway to the living room with more grace, her narrow heels clicking on the tiles. As she passed, her face changed, briefly, into that of Penelope's, before resuming its previous shape, though outwardly, she did not address any of them. Odysseus went cold at the sight, and was grateful when the two were out of sight down the hall.

Odysseus and his friends moved from the sofa to the floor of the living room, sitting in a circle as Asterion played in the center. He walked unsteadily between them, moving from lap to lap, and Odysseus smiled, grateful to share in the moment, though he kept one eye on the doorway, watching the gods move around the house.

Appollo and Artemis arrived at the same time, though Artemis did not arrive in a vehicle, but walked out of the vineyard as if materializing from the moonlight.

Artemis was as dark as Apollo was fair, though their bone structure was similar. Artemis was dressed in a silver dress, but she wore sturdy boots, and wore a jacket of a durable fabric, decorated with patches. Her skin and hair were dark, but her eyes were silver like Athena's, and almost luminescent. She didn't really seem human at all, there was something far more predatory about the way she walked, the way she held herself.

Apollo wore a leather jacket with a fur collar, and aviator sunglasses. When he removed the glasses, his eyes glowed gold, but he smiled brightly when seeing Hermes, and ushered his sister ahead of him. Artemis said very little at the door, but went straight for the kitchen. Apollo exchanged hellos with Hermes, but it was when he passed the living room that he paused.

Odysseus braced himself, but, for once, the god's eyes skated over him, and landed on Cassandra.

"Well," Apollo said, folding his sunglasses. "I never forget a face..."

Cassandra looked like a deer caught in the clearing, staring down a hunter's bow.

"Lord Apollo..." She stammered, and Odysseus stepped in front of her, protectively. Cass put a hand on his shoulder and he could feel her shaking.

"Lord Apollo," Odysseus managed a deep nod, if not a bow. "Thank you for coming."

Apollo still stared at Cassandra, his eyes wide. "In all my years, I've only seen one woman who was so beautiful."

"Bet you say that to all the girls," Hermes came and put a hand on Apollo's shoulder. "Come in, my brother. Help yourself to a drink." He ushered the god away and Cassandra collapsed against Odysseus's back, sobbing silently. Polites gently took her by the shoulders and led her to the sofa, before moving to stand beside Odysseus.

"This is going to be a long night," he whispered. "How many of them are coming?"

"I don't know," Odysseus whispered back. "I just hope they're here to help, and not hinder."