Chapter 26-p1

Odysseus woke up the next morning at the bottom of the pile. Squirming his way to the edge of the bed, he landed on the floor with a thump, but no one else moved. He popped up, his whole body vibrating with energy. He couldn't remember the last time he'd felt this energized, even after a good night's sleep, and when he looked in the mirror, propped up in the corner, he remembered why.

A young boy's face looked back at him, keen brown eyes and a mop of unruly hair. Odysseus knew that face well, it was his own, from nearly twenty years ago. He hasn't thought he'd changed that much, but the difference was jarring. He kept running a hand over his face. He'd grown used to having a beard.

Still, being a child had its perks, he decided, stretching his arms over his head and noticing the lack of pops and cracks that usually accompanied that motion.

He turned to where his friends still slept peacefully and, on an impulse, leapt for the bed, bouncing the group with as much strength as he could muster.

"Good *morning!*" he whooped as he landed.

Polites and Eurylochus banged heads as they left the mattress, shouting out loud. Cassandra shrieked, all of her limbs splaying out, and Asterion hit the mattress and immediately began to cry. Odysseus bit his lip, regretting his actions instantly.

"Sorry, I didn't think that through..." he said, reaching for Asterion.

"Good morning to you too," Polites said, rubbing his head where it had collided with Eurylochus'. "Oww, that really hurt. Is your head made of bronze?"

Eurylochus sat up, but didn't respond, instead, he fixed a stony expression on Odysseus, who backed away, raising Asterion as if he were a shield.

"Woah, woah, I said I was sorry," he cried. "Don't hurt the baby!"

Eurylochus continued to glare for several long moments, then laid back down on the bed with a groan. "I'd hoped the spell would have worn off by now."

"I don't think its that kind of spell," Odysseus said, looking down at himself. "It doesn't *feel* like a spell, you know?"

"Have you ever been under a spell before?" Polites asked, scooting off the bed.

"Well—Athena's disguised me a couple times," Odysseus rubbed the back of his head, remembering. "This isn't a disguise. When you're disguised, what you look like changes, but, not..." he gestured vaguely.

"Not the inside," Cassandra finished his sentence for him. She sat squarely in the middle of the bed, looking up at the boys. "This is like my mind has turned into mush, and I can't get my body to do what I want." She looked down the mattress, then turned on her stomach and slid off the bed feet first, landing softly on the floor. "I want to be grownup again!" She finished, stomping her foot.

Odysseus hid his smile by adjusting his hold on Asterion, so that he straddled his stomach, and Odysseus could get both arms around him easily. The toddler was nearly half his size, and looked at him with tearful eyes.

"Sorry Asterion," Odysseus said softly. "That was thoughtless. I'll try to control myself better." He had to keep his impulses, and his emotions under better control. He couldn't let them get the best of him like they had last night. He looked up at his friends. "We should go see what happened last night," he said. "We need to know the plan."

"Do you think everyone who came is going to want to help?" Eurylochus asked.

"Well, it's been a long time since the war, and 4000 years is a long time to hold a grudge. I think, if there are any of them not on our side, we're just going to have to charm them." Odysseus put on his best smile. The other three looked at each other, with matching uncertain expressions, but Odysseus was already making for the door, Asterion still in his arms.

He got Asterion cleaned up, and pulled himself together. He even consented to combing his hair, before running downstairs to the kitchen, Asterion riding on his back, small hands clasped around his neck, babbling softly to himself.

Athena was there, like the morning before, sipping her mug of coffee. Odysseus reached for the mugs in the cupboard, but she stood, and stopped him.

"Not today," she said.

"Why not?" Odysseus was puzzled. "I had some yesterday."

"You weren't bouncing off the walls yesterday. No caffeine."

"But, Athena..." Odysseus heard the whine in his voice and stopped. "I'm sorry," he said, adjusting his grip on Asterion and standing at attention. "I'm going to stay focused." he said firmly. Athena raised an eyebrow and Odysseus thought she almost smiled.

Then another god came into the kitchen. Not Hermes.

Poseidon reached past Odysseus and poured himself a cup of the now-forbidden coffee.

Odysseus eyed him warily for several long seconds, his heart pounding in his ears, then he forced himself to smile, and he stuck out his hand. "We haven't been properly introduced, I'm Odysseus." He piped. Poseidon looked down at him from what seemed to be a very great height.

"The mortal, yes, I know," he said, moving around him deliberately.

"I'm grateful for your help—" Odysseus tried again.

"Athena, leash your pup," Poseidon said. "Is he even house trained?"

Odysseus grit his teeth, but before he could respond, Athena spoke.

"Odysseus, why don't you gather your friends and go out into the vineyard."

It was a dismissal, sending a child away because he wouldn't understand what was going on. Well, he may look like one, but he wasn't going to *act* like a child this time.

"No," he said looking the god in the eye. He had to crane his neck at little to do so, but he set his jaw, and put on his best 'commander' expression, the same look he often had given Agamemnon when he was being... Agamemnon. "This whole thing is about me and my crew. It's my responsibility, and I want to help."

Poseidon looked away, and sat down across from Athena, not acknowledging Odysseus further.

"The advance party will leave tonight," the god said. "We'll take the day to prepare. I know Hephaestus insisted on crafting some... toys for the expedition. Defensive mechanisms for the children..."

Odysseus felt the hair on the back of his neck stand up, and he made the executive decision to leave the kitchen before he did something thoughtless. But he couldn't move his legs. He felt frozen on the spot, staring at Poseidon.

"Who's in the advance party?" He found himself asking.

Athena looked at him, eyes widening in a warning, but Odysseus stepped closer, almost without thinking.

"Who's going?" he asked again. "This has happened because of me. I can handle it."

Poseidon drained his cup, though the coffee was still steaming hot, and stood abruptly. "Athena..." he said by way of a goodbye, and swept out of the room, brushing into Odysseus and nearly sending him into the counter.

"Hey!" Odysseus grumbled, but Athena put a hand on his shoulder and steered him toward the back door.

"Outside, Odysseus," she said. Odysseus dug in his heels, but she was stronger than him, and she practically shoved him into the garden.