Chapter 25-p2

The conversations along the table died down as the chiming of knife on glass sounded over everything, until all was still under the twinkle lights.

"My brothers, sisters, dear friends," Hermes began. "I would like to thank each of you for coming tonight, but time is not on our side tonight. In fact, it may be the very thing we are fighting against. We are here to make a plan, get to the bottom of this, and ultimately, get these mortals back to where they belong."

Odysseus tried to pay attention to the speech, but with a full stomach, and the warmth of the evening, he found himself nodding off in his chair, only catching about every third word or so.

Polites and Cassandra leaned against each other, their chairs scooted close together. Eurylochus still sat up, seemingly alert, but his eyes were glazing over. Asterion had already fallen asleep in his high chair, head fallen to one side, snoring softly.

Athena looked over, and noticed Odysseus' head bobbing as he shook himself awake for the third time.

"Hermes, I think its time we got these children in bed, it's been a long day," she said softly, rising and moving to lift Cassandra from her chair, which shifted Polites, who woke with a start.

"No... I want to stay..." Odysseus mumbled as she shook his shoulder. "I've stayed up for days before without sleep, I'll be fine..." but his heavy eyelids betrayed him.

"You're right, sister, that was careless of me," Hermes said, cleaning up Asterion's face with the deft swipe of a napkin, and lifting him to his shoulder. "This one should have been asleep hours ago, and he *wasn't* enchanted this evening."

The other gods continued their conversation as Athena and Hermes led the mortals upstairs, each god carrying a toddler, while the three boys walked sleepily on their own.

"Athena..." Odysseus began as they entered the house. "Did you— I mean—did we—" He stopped, unable to think of how to phrase the question. "Will I see you again when we go back?" He asked finally.

Athena looked at Hermes, then down at Odysseus, who was watching where he put his feet carefully, not looking at her.

"Yes," she said.

"Good... fighting is stupid," Odysseus mumbled, barely able to string two syllables together. "I'm really sorry..."

"I'm sorry too," Athena's voice was low, and she reached down to put a hand on his shoulder. "Odysseus, we will solve this. One way or another. I'll get you back."

The boy nodded, his head drooping, and Athena had to lead him to his room. Athena and Hermes exchanged a look, and simultaneously, the gods put Asterion and Cassandra down on Odysseus' bed. The three boys climbed onto the bed as well, barely pausing to take off their shoes, and immediately piled on top of one another, as if following old instincts. Eyes closed, Odysseus's arms wrapped around Asterion on one side, and Polites on the other. Eurylochus squeezed in on the far side of Polites, reaching across him to lay a hand on Odysseus' shoulder. Cassandra crawled on top of the pile, squeezing between Polites and Odysseus, and resting her head on the three friend's crisscrossed arms, curling up in the gap as if she'd always fit there, like a missing puzzle piece. They breathed as a unit, holding onto each other like otters in a raft.

Athena looked down at them, her chin in her hand, while Hermes flitted around the room, tidying up.

He sorted through a pile of packages and clothing left on the floor from earlier that evening, all of which was now much too big.

"All the shopping we did today, completely useless..." he lamented.

"Yes, but you had fun," Athena said, smiling wryly.

"And so did you," Hermes retorted. "The glasses? Really?"

"I stand by my decision," She bent down and lifted them from Polites' ears, they'd gotten knocked crooked as he slept. "At least they all fit on the bed now." She lay the glasses gently on the nightstand, where he'd spot them when they woke.

"Greeks..." Hermes chuckled. "Do you think they ever..."

Athena swatted him in the arm with her hand. "Dirty mind. We have to be getting back."

"Hey, you'd know better than me what soldiers do in their off time—" Hermes began but Athena grabbed him by the collar, and pulled him away.

Odysseus stirred a little in his sleep as they left the room. "Athena..." he mumbled.

"I'll tell you what we come up with in the morning," her voice floated back to him, as if part of his dreams.