Chapter 3-p1-The Crew

Cassandra's small hand in his, she led Odysseus through the hallways and down secret passages, until his sense of direction was confused and he couldn't tell the direction they were heading.

They reached the bottom of the cliffs in record time, escaping from the hidden entrance of a tunnel, and fleeing across the battlefield as the sun began to rise behind them. Smoke rose from the walls of Troy, staining the light a bloody red as the sun rose.

When they'd nearly reached the beach, Cassandra turned and looked back at her city.

"It's over," she whispered. "The world will never be the same."

"Troy has been sacked before, it will no doubt recover," Odysseus muttered. "I only hope Nestor got Helen out okay..."

"Menelaus and Helen will be reunited, they will live in wealth and splendor," Cassandra said. "Though it will not help you."

Odysseus shrugged. "My task is complete then. Let's go home."

"You believe me?" Cassandra asked.

"I'm Nobody," Odysseus replied by way of answer. He couldn't be sure, of course, that she wasn't simply telling him things she thought he wanted to hear, but, he'd never mentioned Menelaus' name to her. Either she was more knowledgable than she was letting on, or there was something to her gifts. "Come on, my ship is the last one on the end."

He pulled on Cassandra's hand and they ran the last little distance, and onto Odysseus' ship.

As soon as their feet hit the deck, the boat was moving. The rowers, in benches along the sides, heaving against the waves as Eurylochus gave the orders.

"We nearly lost the tide, but the winds are in our favor," he said, coming up to Odysseus as they stood near the railing. "If it holds we should— What's this then?" Cassandra was panting, leaning over the railing, and she flinched as Eurylochus came close.

"This is Cassandra," Odysseus said. "She was one of the Trojan's seers."

"And you've... captured her?" Eurylochus' tone was puzzled.

"Not exactly," Odysseus pulled the sling forward and revealed the child, who stirred in the sunlight. "Consider her... a stray."

"A stray? Who is this child? We don't have—" But Odysseus wasn't listening.

"Polites!" He called for the man, but he was already nearby, climbing down from his usual spot high up on the ship's single mast.

Polites was not a ranked member of the crew, though he had the respect of a commander. His keen eyes and a penchant for high places meant he could often be found high on the mast or in a tree, as a lookout, or simply because he enjoyed it.

He, Eurylochus, and Odysseus had grown up together, and they were as close as brothers. If Eurylochus could not, Polites would. Polites was tall, strong, kind, and patient, his round face and wide eyes giving him an air of innocence, belied by his broad shoulders. Around his temples, taming his dark curly hair, he had a carefully woven headband of bright red cloth. He'd made it himself.

Odysseus clapped Polites on the shoulder and gestured to Cassandra, who had caught her breath and was trying to hide behind Odysseus' cloak.

"Polites, my friend, please take this young woman to my cabin, and have her cleaned up and fitted into something more suitable for a guest of my crew."

"Of course," Polites said, saluting, right fist over his heart. Then he grinned broadly at Cassandra. "It's nice to meet you, I'm Polites."

"Polites..." Cassandra's eyes went glassy, and her head cocked to one side. "Your death will be mourned by thousands."

Polites' smile did not waver, though he glanced at Odysseus out of the corner of his eye. "That's... very flattering. It will be an honor to be remembered," He said, offering his hand to the girl.

She took it gingerly as if worried it was going to bite her, and as their hands touched her pale cheeks flushed red.

"I'm Cassandra," she said softly, as they walked toward the stairs leading to the lower deck.