Chapter 9 p2

The shepherd in question was a huge figure dressed in rough sheepskins. He towered above the flock and above the little expedition, more than double the height of any of Odysseus' crew. In one hand he carried a walking stick that had clearly once been a good sized sapling. As he stepped closer, the sheep around the group moved back, forming what almost felt like an arena. All the sheep except the one who had been licking Polites, which had refused to give up the activity.

"You're trying to steal my sheep?" the cyclops asked. Odysseus found it very difficult to look at his face, where a single eye sat square in the middle above a misshapen nose and a mouth filled with sharp yellow teeth. Odysseus picked a spot over his right shoulder and smiled his best smile.

"Hi there," he called out. "You must be Polyphemus—"

"Who told you my name?"

"I was informed by the good people of the island to the west," Odysseus said. "They said you had a great wealth of food and supplies, and we are in desperate need—"

"They said you could steal from me!?" The cyclops' voice grew louder, and his grip on his walking stick tightened. Odysseus threw his hands in the air in a warding gesture.

"No! No! We're not here to steal anything from you, good sir. We've actually come with an offer of trade." He gestured at the supplies they carried with them. "We've brought gold and fine wine to offer for some of your flock. We're happy to negotiate, so we can be on our way and out of your..." he glanced at the cyclops' bald head, "..wool. If you would like to lead us to your home—"

Cassandra grabbed onto his arm, shaking her head fiercely.

"—Or... we could talk out here," he backstepped. "Share a cup of wine, perhaps?"

"Human wine?" Polyphemus knelt down inside the circle of sheep, and Odysseus took a careful step back, and opened one of the casks of wine.

The thick, fruity scent of it hit his nose, and his plan was settled. Opening the pouch, he took out not one, but several lotus fruits, and squeezed the juice from them into the undiluted wine, then he tossed the fruits into the jar as well, just for good measure. A tiny part of him wanted the fruit for himself, but he ignored it with a force of will, and turned back to the cyclops.

"This is some of the best wine you will have ever tasted," he said. "Best in the world, in fact."

"We don't get humans around here much," The cyclops said. "I've missed the visits. Humans always bring good eating."

"Ah.. We don't have much to offer in the way of food," Odysseus tried again. "But try the wine. One taste and I'm sure you'll consider a good deal." He pushed the cask forward and retreated out of reach.

The cyclops picked up the heavy amphora in one hand and drained it in a single swallow. He set it down heavily and smiled a ghastly grin.

"That is good wine. You have more?"

"Do we have a deal? Some of your fine sheep for our wine?"

The cyclops tilted his head to one side and blinked his single eye slowly. Was the lotus taking effect?

"You offer a good deal, human," Polyphemus said. "What are you called?"

Odysseus looked at Cassandra, who was still standing close, though she'd let go of his arm. Her gaze was focused and clear.

"They call me Nobody," he said.

"Nobody, I will take your wine," Polyphemus replied, and the men all looked at each other in relief. "And in return, I will eat you last."

"Watch out!" Cassandra screamed and ran for Polites as the cyclops' hand shot out quicker than Odysseus would have expected from something so large. Cassandra knocked Polites out of the way, and the hand closed around her instead. "Run everyone!"