Chapter 15-p2

Odysseus nodded to Eurylochus, and they signaled the men together. They slowed the ship down, all the men groaning in relief as they stopped rowing, and Odysseus stood ready, keeping the crew on their rowing benches as the boat pulled up alongside. The odd roar slowed and quieted to a low rumble as the mysterious boat slowed.

The lettering on its side was unfamiliar to Odysseus, but as he stared, the letters rearranged themselves to say "Hellenic Coast Guard" in bold blue letters.

"What madness is this?" Eurylochus muttered as two men and a woman tossed a bright yellow rope aboard. Dutifully, one of the rowers caught it and tied it to a cleat on the ship's rail, alongside the more ordinary ropes used to secure the sails and tie to ship to a dock. The "Hellenic Coast Guard" was made fast, and the three strangers stepped aboard.

"How can I help you?" Odysseus stepped forward, trying to determine which of the three was the captain. The woman stepped forward. She was short, and her age was difficult to determine, but her expression was hard.

"My name is Officer Louiza Marinos. Are you the skipper of this... vessel?" she asked, looking over the faces of each crew member, her gaze lingering on Asterion briefly before she focused on Odysseus once again.

"Looks like we've got an ancient Greek invasion," one of Louiza's underlings muttered, and the other issued a low guffaw. Odysseus bristled slightly, but worked to remain calm, smiling his brightest smile.

"I am the commander of this ship," he answered helpfully.

"Would you care to explain exactly how your ship came to be here?"

"We... sailed?" Odysseus answered carefully, trying to play the "confused" card.

"Ships do not normally 'sail' out of thin air," Officer Marinos voice was climbing. "Is this some kind of prank? What kind of horsepower does this ship pull?"

"Horsepower?" Odysseus was confused. "We don't have any horses on board, we have a couple of sheep—"

"Sheep?" Louiza covered her shock expertly. "Exactly what is your purpose in these waters, Captain?" She pulled out a small tablet and a stylus from her pocket, taking notes.

"Look, officer," Odysseus said, "we've been sailing for a long time. My men are tired, and we just want to get home to our families. My wife—"

"Is your wife a resident of Ithaki?" Louiza interrupted, noting his words. Odysseus blinked, maybe he'd misheard.

"Ithaca, yes. She's been waiting—"

"Name?"

"Penelope, she—"

"Last name?"

"Last name?" Odysseus looked at her blankly.

"Your family name, sir?" Louiza looked up from her tablet.

"I— I don't—," Odysseus stammered.

"I'm going to need to see some ID," she pocketed the tablet and the stylus again and held out her hand. Odysseus wished desperately to understand what she was asking for, but, instead just stared at the hand in confusion.

"I—"

Louiza looked at him, her gaze concerned and angry in equal measure.

"What's your name, sir?"

Odysseus looked at her, unsure whether or not to answer truthfully. He sought out Cassandra, but she looked just as confused as the rest of them. There would be no prophecy to help them out of this.

"Odysseus," he mumbled. Louiza's expression was intimidating, and a passing thought wondered if she was originally from Sparta like Penelope had been. "My name is Odysseus."

"And I suppose you've been at war for a while?" Louiza asked, her expression was serious, but as Odysseus nodded, the other two officers began to snicker.

"Thinks he's stepped out of the freakin' Odyssey," one said, clearly audible.

Louiza held up a hand and they stopped. Odysseus again marveled at her presence.

"Sir, lying to a government officer is a crime," she said. "Now tell me the truth."

"But, it is the truth," Odysseus said, his eyes dropping to the deck.

Louiza's expression softened. "Have you and your crew consumed any drugs, narcotics, or hallucinogens recently, to the best of your knowledge?"

"No ma'am," it tasted like a lie to Odysseus, but, it had been several days since they'd encountered the lotus eaters' island and by now all the men were clean, and he hadn't had any lotus either... he hoped. Part of him wondered if he was just hallucinating all of this, and he was actually slumped on the deck of the ship, lost in a coma. But, it was all so strange, and, Penelope wasn't here. He suspected that if he were truly hallucinating, Penelope would be here.

"And you believe that you are Odysseus, on your way home from Troy, and you've been sailing for ten years...?"

Odysseus didn't correct her, but continued staring at the deck. "We just want to go home," he muttered. "Please?"

Louiza, still looking at Odysseus pityingly, put her hand to the black box on her shoulder and spoke into it. "Be advised, HQ, we have a group about 60 men, John Does. They all seem to be under the delusion that they are ancient Greeks. I suspect drug use, possibly inadvertent. We're bringing them in now."