Chapter 4-p1

Odysseus came up on deck to find the sun high over head, and an island on the horizon.

It was not yet close enough to make out the kind of terrain, but Odysseus could see that it was a good size, surely there would be something there to hunt, or fruit to pick.

Cassandra tugged on his arm as he approached the command seat.

"Tell your men to turn the ship, we should keep sailing," she insisted.

"With our supplies running low, we don't know when we will find another island to restock," Eurylochus argued as the approached.

Odysseus shook his head to clear it of the last vestiges of sleep.

"What specifically is the problem here?" He asked.

Cassandra and Eurylochus began to speak at the same time and Odysseus held up a hand.

"Eurylochus," he said. "You first."

Cassandra folded her arms across her chest and pouted, staring at the island.

Eurylochus began, attempting to lower his voice, though he was born for shouting over storms and battle. "Captain, we only have a few days rations left. If we don't stop somewhere soon, we will starve before we reach friendly shores."

Odysseus nodded, and turned to the girl. "Cassandra," he prompted.

She didn't look at him. "You won't believe me," she whispered. "Nobody believes me."

Odysseus reached out, and put a hand on her shoulder. She flinched, but did not break the contact.

"What did I tell you," Odysseus said gently. "I'm Nobody. I told you I would believe you."

She did turn then, and looked up at him, tears threatening to spill over her cheeks.

"The lotus eaters do not care about your plight, they just want you to join them. If you land on this island, they will find you and they will offer you all they have. The fruit they offer is good to taste and filling... but time will pass and you will have no notion of the days, the months, the years..."

She said all this in a rush. Odysseus felt the blood drain from his face as she spoke, but Eurylochus remained stone-featured, arms folded across his sturdy chest, but he said nothing.
Odysseus looked across the deck, and saw Polites sitting on a rower's bench, a set of cords, blue this time, tied to his belt, as he wove the loose ends together in a narrow band. He had several inches completed already, and his expression was thoughtful.

"What do you think, Polites?" Odysseus called.
Polites looked up, and then over his shoulder at the island.

"This world is full of things and places we don't understand," he said after a moment. "If you believe Cassandra can see the future, then I believe her. I will follow you, Captain."

Odysseus nodded.

"Turn the ship!" He commanded. "We continue west."

Obediently, the rowers got back in their seats and began to pull the massive oars to turn the ship. The man at the tiller pulled as well, and the ship made a graceful arc. Arm signals were sent across, and the fleet followed shortly.

Eurylochus said nothing, but returned to his post, staring out to sea.