Chapter 24-p3

Odysseus dashed out the back door to the back garden, only to be caught by the collar by Hermes.

"You know when you took off running this morning, I thought that was as fast as you got," The god said conversationally. "Now I see you were holding back on us."

Odysseus thought back to that morning, the desperate run up the hill. It felt like a lifetime ago. A lifetime of anger, and sadness. It took the wind out of his sails a little, and he subsided, letting Hermes drag him by the collar to a place beside the door.

"Stay here," The god motioned. "I'd rather have all my mortals in one spot tonight."

Odysseus nodded, folding his hands innocently behind his back, and the god disappeared back into the house while Odysseus took the chance to look out at the garden.

That afternoon, the boys and Hermes had set up several long tables outside in the vineyard, and hung twinkle lights in the trees, which made the dining area look like it were floating among the stars. Now that nearly all the gods were seated, it looked like a tiny piece of Olympus brought down to earth, and the wind in the olive trees made a soft sighing sound, their tops looking like dark clouds in the starlight.

Hermes giant serving bowl of spaghetti had been joined by two others, to hold the massive amounts of pasta he'd prepared. There were baskets of bread, and bowls filled with olives, platters of fruit, a huge platter of pot roast, even a turkey.

Odysseus wondered where all the food had come from. He hadn't seen Hermes cook all that much, and no one else had brought anything that he'd seen, but, there it was.

A little girl, about 8 years old appeared at his elbow, and he blinked in surprise. She wore a pretty red dress, and her curly hair was auburn, and bound up with a ribbon.

"I helped with the food, a little," she said. "It's part of my job, after all." She winked at him hugely, and skipped away toward the table.

"Hestia enjoys attending a housewarming party almost as much as I enjoy hosting one," Hermes said, bending down toward Odysseus as he reappeared, leading Polites and Eurylochus, who held both Cassandra and Asterion. "Didn't think I'd need booster seats though."

"Booster seats!" Odysseus protested, "I don't need—" Hermes looked at him side-eyed, and Odysseus looked down at himself.

It was strange, being a child again. He felt like himself, he still missed Penelope, still wanted to go home, still felt out of place. But... all the grief, the worry, the anxiety, it had been tempered. It all felt far away. There was an energy in his muscles that he'd forgotten. He just wanted to run, to climb the highest trees, to fight, anything.

He practically shook with the effort of walking slowly, trying to be dignified in front of all those gods. It didn't matter, really. He'd already embarrassed himself in front of them all when Athena had dangled him from one hand. What a stupid game that had been. Stealing from the gods. It didn't feel so innocent now that he thought about it.

Polites slipped a hand into his, and squeezed gently, and Odysseus found himself comforted by the gesture.

They would get through this... somehow.