29. Crumbling down

Larry

The day just keeps on getting worse. The morning started with the dreadful meeting with Dad, Tyler, Samuel, and Alix. The smug expression on Schultz's face escorting me to the meeting room was enough to keep the tension on my jaw. Then I had to fake-welcome Alix to the country, extending the same courtesy as she showed me while I was staying in Hong Kong.

In the meeting, I learned that Alix was placed by her Dad to help Samuel oversee their office here in the city. Though Tyler and I suspect that she's here to make sure that I am going to hold my end by marrying her in the near future.

Previously, Tyler advised me to stall, but then they got clever and sent my bride-to-be to work alongside me. I hate that I have to manipulate the situation. Alix is a beautiful, lovely, young woman, if I'm not hopelessly in love with Gemma, I might just follow through with the arrangement. But I'm with Gemma, and there's no doubt in my mind that I need to end the arrangement. I just need to wait for the perfect time and excuse.

As the meeting drags, lunch is inevitable, so I send my brother, Tyler to inform Gemma to go ahead and order herself lunch without me.

"And Ty, could you tell Gemma that I love her and not hear the office gossip? I know she's going to hear about my meeting with Alix. I just need her to know that nothing's changed between us."

Tyler put his hand on my shoulder and nodded. "Of course, brother. And don't worry, I've been in your shoes before. Our parents still have the perception that they have the right to meddle in our love life. You'll get through this, little brother. Just trust yourself and don't relent." It's strange hearing Tyler give me the advice. But I know all about his rants back when Mom used to set him up with women of her choosing when he was still a confirmed bachelor.

When Tyler left the meeting room, Dad eyed him suspiciously but didn't say anything. Though his eyes tell me that he doesn't like what he's witnessing.

Alix sits by my side as Samuel smirks and gives me silent approval. There's a sickening feeling in my gut. I don't want to be like him. Back in Hong Kong, Samuel talked about his intention with his fiance, and how he was going to marry the woman and have mistresses. He told me it was okay if I had an affair later on, it's a common thing in these marital arrangements. Still, I can't imagine myself doing so with Gemma.

We are about to end our meeting when Tyler text me. He says to get them to the restaurant and meet him in his office, telling me that it's about Gemma. I stir in my seat when Dad sees me getting anxious.

"What's the matter, Son?"

"It's Tyler, he texted me to meet him in his office. An urgent situation came up. Dad, why don't you go ahead with Alix and Samuel to the restaurant? Tyler and I will be fifteen minutes late."

"Is something terribly wrong?" Alix asks, her hand on top of mine clearly trying to find out what had me upset.

I can't do this to her either...Alix deserves someone nice. Someone who loves her too.

"Just an everyday office emergency. I'll be over soon. I just need to make sure. Do you mind going to the restaurant with Dad and Samuel? I'll be with you all shortly."

"Of course." Her smile is genuine when she lets me go and relax back in her chair.

Dad gives me his annoyed look, but I'm not swayed. I need to find out what's going on. It's Gemma and I love her. Was she upset about Alix being here? Did she hear any upsetting gossip about what was going on behind the meeting room door?

As soon as I excuse myself from the meeting, I head straight to Tyler's office one floor down. He's pacing nervously before he stops when I enter the room.