33. Grandparents

Gemma

The first week away from Larry was hard, the morning sickness was making it harder. But when the second week arrives and Mom takes me to the ObGyn to have my first ultrasound I am nervous. My hand can stop fidgeting as I wait for the doctor with Mom and Harland. My nerves flew out the door when Dad burst into the waiting room with Edwin behind him trying to calm him down. I smile looking at how pissed off Dad is towards Mom.

"You're going to be one of those grandmas, aren't you? You're going to hog the baby's time and let me care for her when she's too tired aren't you?"

"Dad, please you're making a scene," I say quietly, trying to get Dad to sit down. Well... people are definitely looking at my entourage.

Before we left the house, I already told Mom that we had time to wait for Dad, but she insisted that we couldn't be late for our first meeting with my doctor.

"Kiddo, please, I won't be making anything if your mom would wait, and Harland, seriously dude. I thought we had an agreement?"

Laughter passes my lips when Mom's eyes widen as if they are silently asking her future husband 'How dare you?'

"Carol, honey..." Harland starts to say when Mom slaps his hand away in annoyance. She's clearly upset that they were talking behind her back.

"No, I can't believe you're in cahoots with my ex. I thought you were better than that."

"Love, Milton, and Edwin want to be here too. There's enough love to go around." He rests his hand on her back, gently caressing her while she's giving him the death state. Luckily one of the nurses calls my name and all four of them decide to move at the same time. I know I'm blushing from the big entourage I am going to bring with me to the examination room.

"The baby's Grandparents... please tell me you'll allow them all to come with me?" I give the nurse my best pleading look and I'm glad that she nods with a kind smile and then ushers all of us to the door where all five of us follow behind her.

"Doctor Harmon," Mom greeted my ObGyn with a handshake, clearly she knows her since Mom said she was well-referred by some of her friends.

"Good afternoon, oh my...I haven't seen this many excited grandparents in one room. You're going to be a very lucky Mom, Ms. Cohen." She shakes my hand after Mom introduces everyone in the room. I am just glad that Mom didn't show any incivility towards Dad, and Dr. Harmon seems unfazed by my parents and their partners. The fact that she didn't ask where the baby daddy, made me respect her even more.

She asks me the standard questions before she instructs the nurse to help me get ready for my ultrasound. Dr. Anita Harmon is kind and patient as she walks me through the examination. But her words become a blur when I hear the faint heartbeat as she confirms that I am six weeks pregnant.

I am glad that I have my parents with me, cause I suddenly cry like a baby, sobbing so hard that Dr. Harmon decided to end the ultrasound to calm me down. Luckily, she's done with the examination. The kind doctor tells us that the baby is healthy and the nurse will schedule me to see her in the next four weeks.

She prescribed me prenatal vitamins and advised me to not put myself under a lot of stress. I let her talk while my eyes kept on looking at the blurry image of me and Larry's baby. The baby that he's never going to find out, cause I am determined not to interrupt his future.

"Gemma, honey," Mom presses a kiss on my temple as I try to focus back on her words. After the doctor's appointment, my parents decided that we should all go to lunch to celebrate. I didn't have the heart to say no to them, they were all too happy. Except for Edwin, one look at him, I know the man sees right through me.

"I'll get the grilled chicken, thanks, Mom." I know I need to eat. Dr. Harmon was well aware of my mental health issue, and she told all of us that she was glad I had a good support system to see me through the pregnancy.

Three hours later, I say goodbye to Mom and Harland. She tells me that she's going to call and come back next week to check up on me. "I love you, Gemma. I don't want you to worry about my wedding preparation. I'll move the date so that you will be comfortable attending the wedding."

"Mom, you don't have to do that...I'll be fine,"

"No. Don't, sweetie, you'll be the first thing on my mind. Nothing matters more than you. More than our grandbaby." She smiles, putting her hand on my nonexistent baby bump.

"Thank you, Mom." That's all I can say to her as she tucks me under the blanket and tells me to rest. Harland put a glass of water by my side table and kissed the top of my head before he put his arm around Mom. They look happy. Picture perfect... and I'm happy for both of them.

The next morning Dad greets me as I walk into the kitchen. Edwin is cooking breakfast in his work clothes ready to leave for the office after a nice family breakfast. The morning talk is always light between them and I am grateful. Dad seems to calm down whenever Edwin is around, another thing that I am happy for him. Just like Mom, he found his better half. Deep down I wished the same for the future me.

"Still no coffee?" I ask when both men clearly get rid of the essential morning coffee from their morning routine since I still can't handle the smell.

"I'll get one on my way to the office and your Dad will survive a couple of hours without them. He loves you, Gemma. We love you." Edwin says as he plates our breakfast and insists that I eat for the baby. Since I learned about the pregnancy my eating habits have changed drastically and I have Dad and Edwin to thank for.

"Yes, Daddy Edwin."

"Aw...look at that, isn't she the cutest?" He grins and pinches my cheek. Dad laughs and pats my hand telling me not to make life too easy for Edwin.

"So...now that Mom is moving her wedding forward, I assume you will too?" I eat my toast and wait for Dad to answer me.

"Yes, we agree to have it after Mom gets back from her honeymoon. Then you're staying at Mom's when we leave for ours."

"Dad, you don't have to wait for her to come back from her honeymoon. I can take care of myself." I don't know if I will be able to do so, but I sure as hell will try. I hope by then all the self-pity will lessen and I'll be feeling like my old self in no time.

"I know you can, Gemma, but we want to. We want you to have all the support you'll need. Please, let us do this for you?" Dad looks at me and I just can't tell him no, so I nod my head agreeing with their decision.

After Edwin leaves for the office and Dad goes to his furniture shop, I am left alone in my childhood home. I go back to my room and can't help myself to look at the gallery on my phone. All the pictures I have of me and Larry. My hand rubs my belly as I whisper to our unborn child that I still love him, and that I will always will.

The house is quiet as I exhale and let my tears fall as I mourn for the loss of my first and only love. Deep down I wish him all the happiness in the world. I stroke his handsome face on my phone screen and sob harder as my vision gets blurry.

I love you, Larry. Always.