25. Office gossip

Gemma

Sunday was spent dreamily. Larry's driver took us back to his place and we spent the rest of the night cozying together after finishing off our take-out dinner and back to watching one of my well-picked alien movies for the evening.

I think I may just have my boyfriend hooked on the genre. I smiled as I watched him seriously watching the movie while I snuggled closer to his side.

When morning arrives, and I am getting ready for work, Larry is not pleased. Even after a well-spent morning sexy time, the man still looks at me like he wants me shackled to his side all day long.

"Look, baby, not that I don't want to stay with you...but I need to go to the office. I need to follow up on your Hong Kong clients and correspondence with the Hong Kong office. You know you have so many things to follow up on after your meetings there. I have to set up schedules for your internal meetings. Though it's going to be a video conference, I know you still want me to email the materials to the attendance..." I go on with the long to-do list until he sighs and pulls me in for a big warm cuddly hug of his.

"You're no fun when you're in your work mode. Though it helps that you're wearing that sexy skirt and shoes. So, will you be having lunch with me?"

"Larry, I told you...I'll be coming in the evening to check on you. I have to get back to my place for..."

"Gemma, don't make me send a mover to pack your stuff and move them here. I told you we can co-parent your succulent babies."

I laugh when he gets all demandingly cute on me. So I lay my hand on his handsome face and tell him that I love him and that I will see him soon.

"I love you too. Don't make me regret letting you go to the office. Gah...I wish I was not this goal-oriented person. I really need to relax. Yeah...I need to take you on a real vacation, somewhere romantic, maybe to Europe. I bet we can get lost in one of those small villages and disappear from the world for a month or two...okay, maybe a week or two. What do you think?"

"Well. You are my boss, and also my boyfriend. I do believe if you really want, I can arrange everything for you and we can disappear. We have to clear your schedule and shuffle your meetings. And with the new deals and your target for acquiring more clients...I think it'll be visible in about five years from now." I tease and the man gives me his whole hearty laugh.

"What, don't you think five years is possible? I let you know, Larry, that you're a very driven person and I trust that you will have things clear by then." I wink and grab my purse and tumbler.

"Okay, now you're just teasing me. You really don't think I can just pack up and whisk you away for a holiday?"

"Oh...I know you can, I have no doubt. But I also think that you'll be thinking about work as we try to spend our time there. You won't be able to fully relax until you know that your deals will go through and that the contracts are signed."

"Damn it, Gemma. It's like you've known me so well."

"You're not a hard man to figure out, Larry. It's one of the qualities that I like about you. So, stay in bed. I already set up your laptop and tablet for the conference call in your home office. Your suit and shirt are also in there. Just remember not to get up. If you can't do that, you need to put on your work pants for the conference call."

The man grumbles but relents when I kiss him goodbye. I shake my head, smiling on my way to the office. I would never think I'd get to this place. I am happy beyond expectation, I have a handsome, very driven, and loving boyfriend who can't get enough of me.

Not even Murray from marketing can get me down. Well, not until he opens his mouth and ruins my fucking day.

"Gemma, how's your holiday? How's Hong Kong?"

I sigh knowing that this is going to bite me in the ass soon as I get into the office. Though I didn't expect it to be this soon, I haven't even gotten off the elevator.

"Let me guess, May Lee?"

"We're a team, Gemma, don't sound so..."

"Annoying? Wanting people to mind their own business?" I quip, giving him my lazy smile.

"I was going to say scandalous, but damn...woman, never think you'd ever be this sassy. Good for you. I guess I'm out of your league huh?"

Ah...there's the little sarcasm.

"I don't have a league, I'm with Larry. He has notified HR about us dating. So, I don't know what you want me to say, Murray."

"Well, I was curious about Alix Chong, she's Samuel's sister if you don't know...anyway, May told me about the talk she overheard between Alix's dad and Larry's father. Saying things about wanting to strengthen the family bond with marriage."

"Murray, will you stop gossiping?"

Ugh...of all the four elevators in the building, why do I have to get in one with him in it?

"I'm not gossiping, I'm just telling you what May told me. It's called facts."

"Right, okay. This is my floor. Have a nice day."

I am glad that the elevator door opens, but my steps halt when he says his next words. "May said Larry is to marry Alix Chong." He clarifies what I have already figured out from his previous explanation.

Fuck...this is not the news I want to hear to start my day with. For the next short walk to my desk in front of Larry's office, Murray's words played in my head on repeat.

As soon as I sit down, I power up my PC and start Googling Alix Chong. And damn...she is beautiful. She's tall, elegant, smart with an Ivy League education, and currently active in several charity organizations. Alix Chong speaks eloquently when I click on one of her speeches where she dressed like she was speaking for the UN.

Hell...she definitely makes me feel less. Knowing that Larry's father wants him to marry Alix Chong, this is more than what I'm expecting. I had thought I would be the center of the office gossip, but it looks like it's going to be Larry and Alix instead of me.

I know that Larry is close to Samuel Chong, and to know that Larry has the green light for Alix, I am worried that it'll intrigue him to pursue her. It's all about branching out, proving himself, and expanding the company. I have no idea how I will fit into his future if I have Alix as my contender.

Closing the browsers, I decided that I was going to focus on today's task instead. We're all grown-ups. I will talk to Larry, once I get back to his place.

But when the working hours were nearing the end, I was faced with reality when a get-well package arrived for Larry. It's not out of the ordinary for me to reach for the sender to file a thank you note as a courtesy from his office. It's the basic thing that Larry's previous PA taught me to do. So when I found out who the sender was, it was like getting hit by a truck. Not that I would know how it feels, but I am imagining the aftermath...cause I feel truly wrecked. Fucked beyond repair.

A tad bit dramatic, but just because it's Larry.

My legs easily give up on me and I sit back down on my chair.

"Hey, Gemma, who's that from?" Larry's brother, Tyler, swings by my desk when he sees the big care package.

"Oh wow, that woman works fast." He says when I showed him my notes. Identifying that the package is from Alix. "I'm sorry about this, Gemma. But Samuel called my office and Larry wasn't there. I told the guy that my brother would be working from home. Alix might be just trying to be nice, I heard they had meals together when they were in Hong Kong. You have nothing to worry about."

Tyler must've read my face and judged me for who I am. Do I feel threatened? Yes. Am I jealous? Maybe. Do I really want to know about Larry and Alix? Um...not really. I really want to forget about Alix and how his dad wanted him to marry her.

"If you say so." I smile at him, trying to take things easily while I gather my things, wanting to get out of the office sooner. However, in the end, I need to get someone to help me with the package and carry it to the car cause I have the obligation to do so. Okay...maybe I also want to see his reaction when he saw the package and her note cause I didn't look what was in the note. I just peeked at the sender.