³¹, FACING SHADOWS

Start from the beginning

Abruptly, none other than Sam himself burst through the forest, his face stern and resolute as he made his way to the water's edge. With purposeful steps, he came closer to the group, his demeanor commanding and intense as he surveyed the scene before him.

"Get Bella home! I'm going to go help out at Harry's place!" He yelled from across them, before disappearing once more.

Rowan looked over at Jacob, confused. "What's happening over there? Is everyone alright?"

"Harry clearwater had a heart attack." Jacob answered truthfully, "The coven, Charlie, and my dad are over at his place with his family."

"Is he okay?" Bella asked, but Rowan couldn't shake the awful tingling feeling in her stomach. Witch's intuition.

"He's gone." Jacob said, looking down sadly.

Rowan quickly brought her hand to her mouth, eyes watering as she processed the devastating news. The Quileute Tribe was deeply connected to her coven, and Harry's death struck her to the core. She wondered about Seth and Leah's grief, knowing that Lilura and Sacha were likely already offering their support. The loss was incomprehensible, and Rowan couldn't fathom the pain they were experiencing.

"Oh my gods." Rowan sobbed.

"I know." Jacob said sadly, "But come on. I'll get you dry. We have to take Bella home."

*   *   *

Bella climbed into her truck, the engine sputtering to life as she prepared to depart. Meanwhile, Rowan, feeling the chill of her recent encounter with the water, relinquished the driver's seat to Jacob.

Although she possessed the ability to ward off the cold, the discomfort of wetness lingered, prompting her to allow Jacob to take the wheel as she sat beside him while wrapped in Jacob's blanket. With a shared concern for Bella's well-being, particularly given Victoria's continued threat, they made the decision to tail her, ensuring she reached home safely.

As Jacob guided Rowan's car onto the road, they fell into line behind Bella's truck, their headlights casting elongated shadows on the darkened pavement. The night air was thick with tension.

The drive felt interminable as they trailed behind Bella, the silence between them heavy with unspoken worry. Rowan's gaze flickered to Jacob, noting the furrowed lines etched across his brow, a mirror of her own concern. Despite the urgency of their mission, there was an underlying sense of calmness in Jacob's demeanor, a silent reassurance that they would navigate through the night's uncertainties together.

 Despite the urgency of their mission, there was an underlying sense of calmness in Jacob's demeanor, a silent reassurance that they would navigate through the night's uncertainties together