Chapter Three

"I have an announcement to make." Mum suddenly announced at breakfast one day. She was looking quite lively today, I notice and I shared a look with my siblings.

"I know it's been many years since your father opted for divorce and ran away. I have been thinking a lot and for mainly our happiness, I had decided to introduce you to the man I've been seeing for the past five years." Mum smiled as Ning then choked on her broccoli.

"Mum, when?" I asked. She looked at me with this radiance that scarred me to the bones. "Maybe the night before you get to Titan College."

I frowned a bit, making sure Mum didn't see my expression. I had no idea why she was honestly believing I'll be in Titan but I wouldn't blame her because I'm talented in my studies and never went through any stress.

"By the way, have you studied for the entrance test?" Mum was practically just glowing. My hand which was reaching for the butter froze and I quickly retracted as I smiled (fairly) wonderfully to her.

"Oh, yes, I've been spending the last three days studying. The online test is today and I'm going on shopping with Lili and Rosé today so I'll do the entrance test before I go." I told her about my plan today and Mum shrugged at me.

This was just getting a lot more weird.

A hour and a half later, my eyes watered as I clicked on the submission button on my laptop and dejectedly closed it. Okay, I take my words back about being a prodigy in my studies because this test is hard as hell!

It's okay, Jennie, at least it's over. Deep inside my soul, I was praying that I would not get admitted at least that might make Mum spend more time to get another big college for me to go. I stood up and got my bag, and wrapped my silk scarf around my  neck and checked myself in the mirror in front of me.

I gladly did a flying kiss as I checked out myself. I was simply wearing jeans with a satin shirt, high boots, and a pendant that was gifted by Dad, aged 15, via mail. Mum wasn't particularly happy that her kids are still in touch with her ex husband she has never loved but didn't really say anything.

I immediately went downstairs and looks at Ning who was sitting at the coffee table in our spacious living room, her head was buried in a book with lots of notebooks on the table with some opened textbooks. I can just say my beloved only sister was a proud obsessive bookworm.

"I'm going to go out with Lili and Rosé." I called out to her. "And where's Mum and Yoongi?" I already knew but just asking.

Ning still didn't look at me as she answers then, "Alright, be safe. They're already at the company." Then she casually waved a hand that made me grin. I walked out of the house just in time as I spotted Lisa's Benz already parked in the compound. As I walked over to the car, the window rolls down which revealed Lisa with her short sharp bob, shades perched on her head. Rosé's head peeked in, smiling.

We've been best friends since childhood, through kindergarten and finally the end of high school. Lisa looks like a doll with her dark short brown sharp bob, a high nose bridge, full lips and doe eyes and she was much tomboyish. Rosé looks like an angel with her round face, her perfect smile, pink full lips, a small nose, and her curved eyes. She was much girlish than the two of us and I was much in the mere middle.

"Let's go for a shopping spree, girl!" Lisa urged me and I excitedly went into the backseat. On the way to the mall, we've danced countless times to the music from the radio, often laughing and we gist a lot as we finally reached the mall.

"We've just done our entrance test before we left. You?" Lisa asked as we went to the first store for the day. I nodded, not even bothering to say anything else but, "I just hope I fail."

Rosé and Lisa gave me quizzical looks.

I sighed and told them about what had just happened that night and then Mum's bizarre but not surprising announcement this morning. They were both surprised as they shared looks.

"Wow, then you better not sign the papers then." Rosé shrugs. "Ooh, that dress looks beautiful! I must get it for summer!" She then rushed off as I smiled.

Despite I and my family, they don't even care about poor people or marrying them and their families don't even care either. I believed Mum didn't really like them but did not say anything. She always said to me to stay away from poor people because they were lower than us and will stain our pure rich blood and reputation. I don't hate poor people but there's even nothing I can do.

Suddenly, I just heard a commotion in a convenience store and I frowned, going to see what was happening. I saw a cashier arguing with an old but stubborn lady and a young man, their backs towards me. I saw a crowd of people, most of them rich, surrounding them, whispering.

I frowned. They're honestly disgusting! How can they stand there and watch the cashier arguing with an old lady?! I just stormed over to the cashier, fuming.

"Excuse me, sir?! Aren't you ashamed of what you're doing?! You're fighting with an old lady, someone who's older than you or even your parents! Apologize to her!" I screamed at the cashier.

"But ma'am, they were blatantly saying that I should reduce the price! If they can not afford, why should they come here?!" The cashier yelled at me and I looked at him, stunned.

"I'm Jennie Ruby Kim, now apologize to them or else I'll shut this place down and send you to prison." I said lowly and very threateningly that the cashier widened his eyes and bowed his head.

"I'm sorry, ma'am, sir." He said to the old lady and the young man who looked like he is the same age as me. "I'll pay the remaining." I told them.

The old lady turned to me, shaking her head. "No, dear, I wouldn't burden you like this. We're going to be fine with what we bought."

I shook my bed, becoming stubborn. "No, I must pay." Then I did the transactions as I smiled towards the old lady, giving some glances at the young man who still hasn't faced me.

"Thank dear, we owe you." The old lady said. "Taehyung, please come and thank her."

Then the young man finally faced me and I felt my breath leaving my body instantly as I looked at his exquisite handsome face that was jaw-dropping. He has midnight black hair under his baseball cap, a high nose bridge, beautiful hazel eyes that will take my breath away, a sharp jaw and very perfect face. I've had met many handsome boys and men in whole entire life but at the moment, nobody can't be compared with him!

"Hello." His deep voice was unhurried, cool and thankful. "We really owe you one for this. Maybe until we meet again and I will feast you over a pumpkin pie."

I couldn't even speak, just staring at his face, puzzled by his last sentence. Would we ever meet again? Then I analyzed his clothes and realized he's ordinary so that means I really have nothing to do with him.

"Let's go, grandma." He said to the old lady as they left the convenience store and I kept staring after them, feeling dazed for a moment.

Then I placed my hand on my chest where my heart was beating fast as a blush just tainted my cheeks.

What was what?

Why am I affected?