Chapter 10

Alexander

The morning light gently spilled into the room , casting a warm , golden glow that danced across the walls and floor of Alexander's room.

The morning light, flooding the room, prompted Alexander to groan in frustration, shifting his head to the opposite side of the pillow. Exhaustion, frustration, and irritation enveloped him, a heavy cloud fueled by the revelations that happened last night. The disclosed information, the unraveling of the past, the unexpected marriage details, and the fucking kiss with that bitch had collectively drained him to the brink of despair and anger.

Each incident weighed heavily on his conscience, turning the morning into a harsh reminder of the tumultuous events that unfolded under the shadow of darkness.

The persistent ringing of the phone elicited a frustrated grunt from Alexander, compelling him to wake up. He reached to the nightstand beside the bed, grabbed his phone, and answered the call, opting to put it on speaker without checking the caller ID.

With his head still against the pillow, Alexander allowed a sliver of light to filter through his slightly opened eyes as he answered the call in his deep, husky morning voice, "It better be important."

"Alexander, it's Matteo," echoed the voice from the other end.

"Matteo, what is it?"

"Alexander, you need to wake up. We have a crucial meeting today, and we need to dig in about Isabella's parents."

Alexander's eyes fluttered open, his head resting against the headboard. A dull ache pulsed through his head from the shots he had taken the night before. He lazily ran a hand over his face, tousling his hair, and sighed in frustration.

"I'll be ready in half an hour."

"Alright. Is Isabella okay? She called me last night, but I was in a meeting, so it went straight to voicemail," Matteo inquired.

Frowning, Alexander asked, "Did she call you?"

"Yeah."

"But why?"

"How will I know? You ask her."

As Alexander scanned his room, he noticed its emptiness.

"She's not in my room. She might be in the guest room or another one. When I get ready, I'll ask her to call you."

Ending the call, Alexander prepared to head to the bathroom but paused, feeling an unexpected urge to check on Isabella himself. The need to ensure her well-being, the need to see her innocent face, the need to see her beautiful big doe eyes overcame him, prompting him to stride into the adjacent room, only to find it vacant.

He strode towards other rooms only to find them empty. One after another no room had any sign of Isabella spending the night there in any of the rooms.

A surge of panic coursed through his veins, accompanied by an overwhelming sense of protectiveness that enveloped him. His heart pounded relentlessly in his chest, an inexplicable ache gnawing at him . He couldn't understand this feeling. The desire to lay eyes on her, to embrace her, and to reassure himself of her well-being consumed him.

Regret echoed in his mind for the harshness he displayed towards her the previous night, a remorseful awareness of inflicting both physical and emotional pain despite the knowledge of her fucked up life in her uncle's fucking mansion.

He knew she was sensitive, he knew she was tiny and soft and so fucking breakable yet he lost his temper at her.

Aware of her sensitivity, conscious of her delicate and fragile nature, yet he let his temper overcome him and lashed out at her. He knew ...He fucking knew she was easily breakable yet he let his demons overpower him and hurt her.