26: The Missing Information

Start from the beginning

"Fuck." She mumbles and shifts a little. That is the last thing they need. Someone, who is dead set on keeping their identity hidden, is watching them from afar. "That's unsettling."

Silence falls onto the group as they creep their way through the darkened water. Yes, no one is out in the marsh with a sniper trying to take them out, but the tension and anxiety of having to sneak around their own house is terrifying. Casey is really starting to get sick of feeling like her home is not hers anymore. From the Square Groupers, to now this, people really need to stop coming after them in the one place she considers safe. Well, all besides the boy sitting across the boat from her.

"Okay." John B finally says as he slows the boat in front of the Château's dock. "I'm still thinkin' of a way that would work so they don't see us."

Before anyone has a chance to come up with a plan, Casey is the first to speak her mind. "Why don't we do this." Without giving anyone the opportunity to ask her what she is thinking, she jumps onto the metal dock and runs to the covered wooden structure so she is next to the boys. John B and JJ instantly go to stand up and get her, but Pope grabs their arms and pulls them down. "I'm gonna sneak to the house, you guys go around the side." She starts as she crutches down so she is eye level with the three. She glances behind herself, making sure no one is coming up and continues her plan. "If I see anything or anyone I'll whistle, if not, keep going."

"Are you out of your fuckin' mind?!" JJ whispers. "You'll be seen!"

Casey doesn't listen to him, and instead, stealthily makes her way down the dock. She can hear her brother and JJ whispering between themselves but she blocks it out. She is now the one on a mission. The plan rides on her and deep down, she really enjoys it. The pressure of knowing if anyone is there feels like a weight on her chest, but she is more than happy to carry it for the Pogues.

She carefully makes her way through the yard, without being seen, and presses herself against the wooden house. She peeks her head from behind the corner to glance at the road but doesn't see anyone. Granted, even the street lights are out, but her eyes have adjusted to the darkness and there is no car anywhere on the street.

She turns, ready to wave her friends and brother on, but she doesn't see them. They aren't even in the boat anymore. Almost on cue, noise from the other side of the house catches her attention and she realizes they actually went along with her plan. For once, JJ and John B are actually listening to her and look where they are now, about to get the Twinkie. A small, proud smile creeps its way onto her face as quickly makes her way onto the porch through the backdoor and uses the couches scattered around to hide to herself. She makes her way all the way to the front of the house, still safely protected by the furniture and random clutter but still nothing. Whoever was here earlier is no longer spying on them and they are safe to leave without worrying someone is watching.

"Coast is clear!" She yells as she walks out into the front yard, letting the door slam behind herself. "I don't know who was here before, but they're long gone, meaning we're safe to go."

"You are out of your fuckin' mind, Case." JJ breathes out as he and the rest of the Pogues come out of hiding. The anxiety of not knowing what could have happened if the person was still there and saw her was eating at him since she left the dock. They have no idea if it was the police, someone unknown who also knows about the Royal Merchant, or worse, more Square Groupers. "Good to know I'm no longer the insane one."

At first Casey doesn't say anything to his comment. It is relatively funny, JJ thinking he is not the unstable Pogue, but she doesn't find it funny. Not anymore. Since the fight with Rafe less than an hour ago, it's as if a switch has flipped in her mind and she won't be able to ever flip it back. She is usually the one that is reserved, at least a little bit. She doesn't always have the smartest plan, but at least she comes up with something, instead of going in blind. Now, she is taking the initiative and doing what needs to be done, at whatever cost.