9. Hope Never Dies

Lucky Compass 2.05

Since it happened, it's continuously been on his mind, same as her. Neither of them can stop thinking about the kiss.

          The Pogues stand in the middle of the yard, silent, all waiting for someone to say something, anything. More specifically, John B or Casey. Although JJ, Pope, and Kiara are there, the Square Groupers are after the siblings. It doesn't matter if the two are alone or not, the men would have come and it is really starting to set in for the other three. Everything is starting to hold actual weight now. The last twenty minutes have thrown them for a loop. JJ's verbal brainstorm, John B explaining the Routledge family lineage, the Square Groupers showing up, everything. A lot has happened and they just need a moment to take a breath and calm down. Thankfully, everyone is thinking the same thing and Pope and Kiara take a few steps away from the group to grasp the situation.

          At first, Casey keeps her eyes down, avoiding the stares from her friends. She knows what they are thinking and she doesn't want to see the look on their faces. She doesn't want to be reminded of how emotional she was. But, her will to keep her eyes down falls apart when JJ moves next to her. She looks up at him as his arm brushes against hers. Immediately the two lock eyes, and feel the tension between them. It's definitely awkward, but after everything that has happened, it doesn't matter to Casey. She just needs him to stand next to her. To be here and he feels it.

          Before JJ can comfort her, John B decides the moment to catch their breath is over and walks away from the group, toward the van. The remaining four glance between each other, reluctant to follow but one by one they do, Casey leading the group. Whatever John B has in mind, she's going to follow, even though she is physically and emotionally exhausted, which means JJ is going to be right there and Pope and Kiara aren't going to willingly let the three chaotic Pogues go off by themselves.

          As the group walks toward the van, Pope and Kiara look at each other. They know whatever they are about to do is bound to end badly. It's obvious John B is not thinking straight and the huge piece of evidence to prove their theory is the boy has yet to check in on Casey. The second something happens to her, or she starts freaking out, he bombardeds her with questions, but he hasn't said anything to her since the office. A disastrous idea pops into Kiara's head as they near the van. John B is possibly on a revenge kick right now and they are about to willingly follow with no questions asked. He didn't say what or where they are going or doing which means they are following blindly. But as she thinks about it, the more it would make sense that he has officially lost it. Men just ransacked his house and stole his father's research a day after shooting his sister. What else would a hormonal teen do? He would get revenge or try and get it back. The girl sighs as she opens the passenger door, choosing that no matter what, they will support him. And if anything goes wrong, they can either help stop it, or stop John B. Before she gets in the van, Kiara nods her head toward the back, telling JJ and Pope to get in as well. JJ immediately jumps into the back but Pope is a little hesitant, thinking the same as Kiara. He does not like where this is going but still, he follows JJ inside.

          As soon as the doors are closed, John B puts the Twinkie in gear and pulls out of the driveway, barreling down the street. Thankfully, Pope, Casey, and JJ expect the boy to drive away quickly and the three catch themselves from flailing around. Pope takes the bench in the back, while JJ stays standing, waiting for Casey to take the seat behind John B, but the girl doesn't. Instead, she sits on the floor and leans against the wall between the bench and seat, leaving the seat for him. He reluctantly sits down and after a few minutes of silence, John B's thoughts become too much and he starts talking. "I mean, it's obvious, right? A family heirloom. I mean, what better place to hide a message? He had to know it was gonna get back to us, right?" No one says anything at first, no one really knows what to say. They are not on the same wavelength as the boy. JJ's here for Casey, Pope and Kiara are both suspicious about it, and Casey just wants answers.