10. Smart Way To Live

Lucky Compass 2.06

On the surface, her love for the necklace comes from the love she has for the flower itself but deep down, she knows it's because of the connection to JJ.

Once again, Kiara, John B, and Casey sit in silence. This time in the back of a Kildare County Police Squad car, but unlike hours ago, the silence is filled with uncertainty, not fear of suspected murderers finding them. Although they are being taken in, at least they are safe. Safe enough to take a breath of relief, at least for a moment. Thankfully, the ride to the police station doesn't take long, but the three can still feel the anticipation building. How the police officer spoke, 'we have a few questions for you two.', screams there has to be more than whatever happened with the lighthouse caretaker and for Casey and John B, that's the most nerve racking part. Besides CPS, and all that bullshit, they have no idea why they are being brought in. They know the Pogues aren't the most law abiding citizens but they have never been dragged in without knowing exactly what it is for.

Before the three realize, they are pulling up to the tall brick, white Police station sitting in the middle of town. As soon as they park, the officer gets out and opens the back door, letting them out. "Inside." He demands. Kiara and John B instantly start walking but of course, Casey glares at the man. She understands dealing with the Pogues is never fun but why does he have to be such a dick? She knows she's been sarcastic with him but it's not illegal to give a little attitude, especially when she hasn't done anything.

The man doesn't say anything and stands his ground, waiting for her to start on her typical nonsense but she doesn't. She rolls her eyes at him and follows her brother into the station. As soon as the three walk into the small lobby, the receptionist lifts her head from behind the desk embedded in the wall to the left. Kiara, John B, and Casey turn to her but look over the women and into the station, taking in the large room filled with desks and police officers. "Shoupe, looks like you have your hands full today." The woman says, a hint of comedy in her tone.

"Yes, Sheri, I do." The cop, who the Pogues now know as Shoupe, replies. He walks past the teenagers and swipes his keys against a small black box next to a door. The door beeps and he immediately opens it, ushering Casey, John B, and Kiara through. Once Shoupe closes the door behind them, the Pogues stop walking, not sure where he wants them to go. He nods his head toward a bench in the corner of the room, placed perfectly in front of what they can only assume is an office by the large window leading to a room and not the Main Street in front of the building. The Pogues can't see inside the room from across the station, but it doesn't take a genius to know who's ever office that is, has some serious power within the force. As the group walks past the receptionist, Shoupe mumbles to the woman, continuing the obvious frustration he has for the teens. "Routledges, I swear." Casey once again rolls her eyes. She knows she and John B are well known in the department, but it doesn't excuse the way Shoupe is acting toward them. They have yet to be told what they are in for.

As they make their way through the room filled with desks and officers, working at what looks to be at a snail's pace, every person turns and watches them. The Pogues aren't surprised by the officers seemingly doing nothing, but it does make them subconscious of their steps. They usually don't care if they are being watched but in the police station, it makes it obvious they are in trouble. Once the three get to the bench, Shoupe motions for them to sit down. The three do, and out of nervousness Casey starts fidgeting with her bracelet. She has been in the station before but not like this. She has always had a voluntary way out, but now, she doubts Shoupe would let her or John B simply walk out.

After a few minutes of sitting in silence, watching officers walk by and eye the three up, Sheriff Peterkin spots the Pogues from across the room. As soon as her eyes lock onto them, Kiara and Casey feel it and it takes them less than a second to find her. At the sight of the Sheriff, Casey's breaths start to pick up, ever so slightly, and she watches the woman like a hawk while Kiara glares at John B. The two lean back and have an almost silent conversation behind the Routledge girl but Casey is too focused on the Sheriff to hear what they are saying. The woman's eyes bounce between the siblings, practically ignoring Kiara sitting to the right of Casey, before making her way to Shoupe's desk. The two talk for a moment before Peterkin makes her way to the Pogues. The three quickly straighten up as the woman stops in front of them but Peterkin's eyes land on Kiara, barely acknowledging the siblings anymore. "Deputy Johnson wants to speak to you." She explains, motioning to a desk a few feet away from them with an officer staring directly at the three. Kiara glances between siblings before slowly standing up, making her way to the desk. Peterkin waits until the girl is sitting down before turning to the two again. "I am really getting sick of seeing you guys, if I'm being completely honest."