23. Inevitable Unraveling

Midsummers 5.02

He wishes he could be with her right now. She would be able to make everything better, just by talking to him, like she did this morning. She would be able to stop him from believing every word his father is saying.

          As the truck starts to slowly pull away from the police station, JJ's breaths are shallow and uneven. It is nowhere near the first time he has been beaten this bad, but it is the first time where he has had no escape. In the house, he was always able to slip away, if even for a second. He could take a few steps back and allow himself a second to breath before another attack started but stuck in the truck, he couldn't. He had nowhere to go and he had to take it. Every single punch destined for him, landed.

          Thankfully, while he was being brutally attacked, there was a silver lining. One so small not even his father was able to take it away from him. Through the side mirror, between punches, he saw Casey. He saw her walking toward the truck and he was able to deter her. One word stopped her from bringing JJ's true fear to reality. Although that one word caused more pain for him, he was able to save her from his father.

          But now, that means he is alone again, barely conscious, as his father drives through town pretending nothing is wrong. Pretending that he didn't attack his own son in the middle of the day, surrounded by people. Pretending that the window is not currently splattered with JJ's blood. Pretending like nothing is wrong.

          It doesn't take long until the two are back on the Cut. But even then, knowing they are going back home, JJ does not move. He stays slouched against the door, fearing that one wrong move will send his father off the rails again. The only problem, as he sits there, cringing at the metallic taste in his mouth, he can't help but fall into a dark place. This is his fault. He deserves this. This is his punishment for being a good friend. He knew the second he was placed in the back of the Kildare County SUV, this was going to be the outcome and he welcomed it. So, he needs to take it. Every punch, every hit, every awful thing his father sends his way. This is what he deserves.

          As JJ continues to fall deeper and deeper into his self-isolating and crushing thoughts, Luke speeds up and barrels down the road, going faster than everyone else. The man is beyond pissed. He is now on the hook for thirty thousand dollars. Thirty thousand dollars in restitution because his ungrateful son thought sinking a Kook's boat was worth it. He doesn't care what the reason is, he just knows his son is an idiot and doesn't think before doing anything.

          After driving, at unsafe speeds, JJ and Luke finally pull up to their house. As he puts the truck in park and takes the keys out of the ignition, Luke looks over at his son, who has still not moved. He's not happy that he has to parent like this, but JJ gives him no other choice. He has to be forceful, which unfortunately means he has to beat it in to get it across. Luke takes a deep breath as he opens the door, feeling the anger starting to build again. He notices the way JJ tenses as the door creaks but he doesn't care. Fear is the best way to get him to listen. So, to add to that mind set, he slams the door as he gets out and walks away.

          JJ waits to move until he watches his father disappear through the front door, and even then, he barely moves. He groans as he pushes himself up and slowly pulls the visor down. He doesn't want to flip the small mirror open, but he needs to take a look at his face. He needs to know the damage. He takes a painfully deep breath in and slowly opens the mirror. He is not surprised that his lip busted open again, but he is taken back at the cuts on his cheek and on his eyebrow, all three bright red with small lines of blood traveling down his face.

          Again, all of this is predictable. He has taken his father's right hook to the face multiple times in the last few years, but even if it is a norm for him, it still hurts to hell when it happens. It always looks worse hours later, so of course, he's going to have to answer some questions if he goes to the Château, but none he's never answered before. The only thing he does not want to do, besides getting out of the truck and going into the house, is to see Casey. Now, or later today. He can already picture the look on her face when she sees him, and the tears forming in her eyes. He does not want to cause her that sadness.