7. Pieces That Fit

Lucky Compass 2.03

She knows her father's handwriting better than anyone, and this is definitely from him.

          As soon as the three get home, JJ and John B make a bee line for the house, leaving Casey to start pacing the yard. She runs her hands through her hair as she turns for the third time, trying to understand what Lana ment. Lana saying 'they can't know you have that.', confirms the men are looking for the compass. The thing that doesn't make sense is why the Pogues shouldn't have the compass. Especially John B and Casey. The compass is Big John's. It's their fathers, so why shouldn't they have it.

          Within minutes of John B, JJ, and Casey being home, Kiara's SUV pulls up the driveway. At first it startles Casey but after quickly realizing it's Kiara and Pope and not the men, she takes a deep breath. Before either of them can say anything, Casey nods her head toward the house, making the two look over to see JJ and John B talking on the porch. Pope doesn't hesitate to make his way to the two but Kiara waits until Casey starts walking to follow. She can see the distraught look on the girl's face, besides the fact they pulled up to her pacing the yard, and knows whatever happened, is not good.

          Inside the porch, the five congregate near the side door. Casey sits down on the couch next to Pope while Kiara takes the chair John B is leaning on across from them, leaving JJ to continue pacing, his vape in hand. As they wait for him to calm down, all Casey wants to do is snatch the silver nicotine stick out of his hand and inhale the entire thing. It's not weed or alcohol but it's something that can calm her nerves. But, with her brother standing less than six feet from her, she knows it's probably not smart. Unless she wants to start an argument.

          After deciding it's best not to irritate John B at the moment, Casey looks over at him. Before either sibling can say what happened at Lana's, JJ starts rambling. "We were right outside like this." He leans against the brick wall next to the two on the couch and crouches, pretending to be under the window. "And all we hear is just, Bam! Bam! Bam!" He yells, pounding his fist in the air. "Knocking paint off the wall, G! From the inside, all right!" JJ pauses for a moment to catch his breath and glances at John B and Casey, noticing the two are more frustrated than anxious. He takes a quick hit of his vape and his attention to the twos reaction disappears as his mind continues to relive the last few hours. "And I'm just looking at them like, wait, first off, look at this shit..." He says and walks past Casey to shake his head in front of Kiara and Pope.

          As soon as JJ runs his hand through his hair, flakes fall to the ground, as well as onto Pope and Casey's laps. "That's dandruff, disgusting." Kiara says while Pope mumbles something of disgust and wipes his pants with his hand.

          After a few seconds of paint flying everywhere, Casey gently places her hand on JJ's arm, telling him to stop and thankfully he does. "Look at all that, all right?" He mumbles as he stands, resuming his pacing around the porch. Casey runs her hand through her hair once he is no longer in front of her and immediately feels the paint chips. She quickly shakes her head, which makes the paint go flying, ultimately landing on Pope. He looks over at her, irritated that he is once again covered in paint but before he can say anything, his attention is brought back to JJ. "That's paint. At that point, I was just, like, I'm waiting for death..."

          "Okay, Jay..." Casey breaths out. She stands up, realizing the boy is letting his anxiety and fear completely consume him. The men didn't know they were there so they weren't 'waiting for death'. It was definitely dangerous, but 'waiting for death' is a little excessive. She makes her way to him and places a hand on his chest, pushing him back slightly. "Relax, we're fine."